swimjig hooksets help ?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

swimjig hooksets help ?

Post by Derek777 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:50 am

i was fishing today with the keitech model III swimjig with fat swing impact paddletail trailer. i caught my first fish just fine, and set the hook fairly well. after that i had a few hits/swipes.
the next two solid bites i had i let the fish take the bait and set the hook pretty good but it seemed to toss the bait really easily. (one of them was a heartbreaker as it was by far the biggest bass ive ever seen)
is there advice that someone can suggest to keep the fish buttoned up, especially when using large swimjigs/paddletail trailers?

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: swimjig hooksets help ?

Post by Fat-G » Sun May 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Use braid and hit them HARD.

Remember it's still a jig even though you are swimming it.

Hit em with your jig fishing hookset.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:33 pm

x2--BRAID is a must, IMO...

I also cut my weedguard completey off in most situation...and have seen people use a #1 Owner stinger on the jig hook for a "stinger hook," although I'm not a huge fan..

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun May 01, 2011 4:05 pm

I fish the Mississippi about 10 miles from where swim jigs were first developed by T. Monsoor, and around here the standard practice is to use more of a "pressure set" of the hook, or in other words crank that reel as fast as you can and keep steady pressure on that fish. Sometimes that huge hookset, if your not reeling like crazy through the whole process can lead to a moment of slack line, or at least enough of a letup where they get off. Just reel like mad and get that rod sideways and don't let up the pressure for a second. Those hooks should be sharp, and steady pressure will bury them.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Mon May 02, 2011 4:52 am

Couple thoughts...

- Short hits can sometimes be a hint to try a different trailer. Shorten it up, change color, change size... At times the best trailer is no trailer at all.

- Agree completely on sweep set vs. a short snap set. May depend on the rod/line combo though? A rod with a lighter X-fast tip really seems to help them get it down farther. I think it gives a little bit when they hit. I know I missed a lot of fish on swim jigs when I first started using them because I didn't have the right rod for it. If you're using a stiffer rod, mono or copoly may actually be better than braid as it will compensate for the stiff rod a little bit.

- Color change can sometimes change hits from short hits to eating the whole thing too.

Just some things to consider...

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon May 02, 2011 5:40 am

RIK wrote:Couple thoughts...

- Short hits can sometimes be a hint to try a different trailer. Shorten it up, change color, change size... At times the best trailer is no trailer at all.

- Agree completely on sweep set vs. a short snap set. May depend on the rod/line combo though? A rod with a lighter X-fast tip really seems to help them get it down farther. I think it gives a little bit when they hit. I know I missed a lot of fish on swim jigs when I first started using them because I didn't have the right rod for it. If you're using a stiffer rod, mono or copoly may actually be better than braid as it will compensate for the stiff rod a little bit.

- Color change can sometimes change hits from short hits to eating the whole thing too.

Just some things to consider...
Good catch...I forgot to mention those variables. Sometimes trailers and colors can make a big difference as to whether they "eat" it or are just tail nipping.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 am

as mentioned i use a small stinger hook due to similar issues you're experiencing. i use impacts for trailers as well and i tread the stinger on first, pull it up towards the shank of the hook then put the trailer on. once the trailer is on i pull down the stinger and rig it threw the impact. i usually use the reg impacts not the fats for this application. good luck and tight lines

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm

NJ Jigman wrote:as mentioned i use a small stinger hook due to similar issues you're experiencing. i use impacts for trailers as well and i tread the stinger on first, pull it up towards the shank of the hook then put the trailer on. once the trailer is on i pull down the stinger and rig it threw the impact. i usually use the reg impacts not the fats for this application. good luck and tight lines
i fished again today and had a few solid hits, really solid hooksets, but none stayed buttoned. then i made some adjustments to the fat impact trailer, as i noticed it wouldnt compress very much to leave much gap for the hook, and hooked up after that.
i placed an order for a few more jigs and some regular swing impacts and some 3.8 fats and i think that should cure the problems.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Derek777 wrote:
NJ Jigman wrote:as mentioned i use a small stinger hook due to similar issues you're experiencing. i use impacts for trailers as well and i tread the stinger on first, pull it up towards the shank of the hook then put the trailer on. once the trailer is on i pull down the stinger and rig it threw the impact. i usually use the reg impacts not the fats for this application. good luck and tight lines
i fished again today and had a few solid hits, really solid hooksets, but none stayed buttoned. then i made some adjustments to the fat impact trailer, as i noticed it wouldnt compress very much to leave much gap for the hook, and hooked up after that.
i placed an order for a few more jigs and some regular swing impacts and some 3.8 fats and i think that should cure the problems.
I use the 4" regular swim impact instead of the fats for this reason and they are also alot cheaper :mrgreen:

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:20 am

btw im using a tw/powell swimjig rod, 55lb daiwa samurai braid and a 7:1:1 quantum smoke.
i think its just the fat impacts dont collapse enough to give the hook enough gap. im trying the smaller 3.8's this weekend. im also considering bending the hook on the keitecj jig a touch so it points just slightly up. im also going to try other styles of swimjigs i have and rig the 4.8's open hook and see how it goes.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sat May 07, 2011 3:44 am

If they're swatting at it, go to a smaller size.

I guess the sweep-set would work for the mid-west style of swim jigs, but I use jigs with flipping hooks, so I HAVE to hit them really hard. I have only once had a fish come off, that was a couple days ago, and it was because it was a new jig and I hadn't trimmed the guard down at all. Probably also didn't help that I had a HUGE trailer on.

vtbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vtbasser » Sun May 08, 2011 2:07 am

I think you guys hit on the problem with the gap size.

But, on the hook sets, I don't set the hook particularly hard. But I don't sweep set it either, something in between for me. I use braid + a fluoro leader and a medium heavy/fast. I have fished them with fluoro and I use a heavy power/fast action then.
www.hokiebass.com
Abu Garcia, Berkley, Trilene

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:47 am

vtbasser wrote:I think you guys hit on the problem with the gap size.

But, on the hook sets, I don't set the hook particularly hard. But I don't sweep set it either, something in between for me. I use braid + a fluoro leader and a medium heavy/fast. I have fished them with fluoro and I use a heavy power/fast action then.
I use a jackall Heavy/Fast rod with Conquest 100 spooled with Super Natural 16/20lb and don't have problems with sweep hookset. I use the regular 4" swing impacts and not the Fat version as trailer.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Mon May 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Smalleyez wrote:I fish the Mississippi about 10 miles from where swim jigs were first developed by T. Monsoor, and around here the standard practice is to use more of a "pressure set" of the hook, or in other words crank that reel as fast as you can and keep steady pressure on that fish. Sometimes that huge hookset, if your not reeling like crazy through the whole process can lead to a moment of slack line, or at least enough of a letup where they get off. Just reel like mad and get that rod sideways and don't let up the pressure for a second. Those hooks should be sharp, and steady pressure will bury them.
i agree. if you are swimming "true" swim jig, the "pressure" set is all that is usually needed similar to the chatterbait/spinnerbait set. the heavy wire flipping hooks require a little more of a set, but not much when using braid. the problem is that when you hammer them with drag down, heavy hook, heavy rod and heavy braid, you are tearing a hole in their mouth most of the time. the hole gives them room to throw the hook if any slack is generated. i swim a jig year round and i "rarely" have to hit them hard. most of the fish i catch (and i catch a lot on a swim jig) hook themselves just like with a spinnerbait. i like 30-40lb braid in grass and fluorocarbon around wood/rocks/docks. i set harder with the fluoro than i do with the braid.

the other thing as mentioned, is the amount of gap/bite available on your hook. i am not sure if the swing impact has a hook slot like the skinny dippers do, but if not, it may not be collapsing enough based on looking at that setup.

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Wed May 11, 2011 8:58 am

Derek777 wrote:i was fishing today with the keitech model III swimjig with fat swing impact paddletail trailer. i caught my first fish just fine, and set the hook fairly well. after that i had a few hits/swipes.
the next two solid bites i had i let the fish take the bait and set the hook pretty good but it seemed to toss the bait really easily. (one of them was a heartbreaker as it was by far the biggest bass ive ever seen)
is there advice that someone can suggest to keep the fish buttoned up, especially when using large swimjigs/paddletail trailers?
keitech model iii doesn't have a weed guard I believe. Depending on the clarity of your water I would not be fishing anything other than fluoro or braid. I have missed maybe 1 fish in 25 on either types of line. It's true sometimes the fish are just bitting on the tail so when you set the hook it's just coming right back. My fishing partner sweeps to the side and does a pressure hook set, while I usually swing for the fences. We seem to land the same amount of fish.

Also what powered rod are you using. If you are using braid I would suggest a 3 or 4 powered rod...but for fluoro definitely a 4 or 5 powered rod. Also maybe try a jig with a bigger/stronger hook...talon and dirty jigs tackle both make excellent swim jigs.