Some prop jigs I made

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Some prop jigs I made

Post by mike_honcho » Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 am

Maybe this post is better suited for the show and tell but decided to post it here.
These are a couple of Dirty jigs swim jigs that I added a prop after I saw the Deps prop jigs but didn't want to pay the heafty price. Actually, the one on the far left is a Talon lures prop jig I bought for comparison. I caught a couple dinks yesterday on the blue herring color. I have a few 3/4 oz Dirty jigs california jigs that Im going to do to fish deeper but waiting to receive a thicker wire.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/ ... 161317.jpg

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Some prop jigs I made

Post by Pen3 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Doesnt your hook flip down instead of up when swimming?

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Wed May 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Pen3 wrote:Doesnt your hook flip down instead of up when swimming?
no the hook stays up and swims just as it would if you tied directly. Also the wire tie has an articulating joint so it would in theory take away leverage from the fish to throw the jig.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu May 05, 2011 1:07 am

cool, im a jig maker, never seen anything like that before :shock: those are nice swim jig heads where'd you get them? the one to the far left looks like a shibui, but the others look reel natural =D>

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu May 05, 2011 3:11 am

If you guys want to produce some really effective, fish catching "prop jigs", I'd suggest you look at the successful lures from the 1920s and 1930s. This type of lure was among the most popular casting bait at that time. Probably the most successful was the first bait to use a rubber skirt, the Hawaiian Wiggler series. This bait came in deep, mid-depth, shallow running, and buzz bait versions. Yesterday I caught two nice largemouth on the shallow version, the Hawaiian Wiggler #2, which has been catching fish for 80 years. This bait will run through junk where no spinnerbait dares to go.

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Thu May 05, 2011 6:44 am

NJ Jigman wrote:cool, im a jig maker, never seen anything like that before :shock: those are nice swim jig heads where'd you get them? the one to the far left looks like a shibui, but the others look reel natural =D>

I only wish I could actually make a jig of that quality. The jig heads I got from TW, they are Dirty Jig swim jigs. I like them alot and they have really sharp hooks. Also, Dirty jigs has a large color assortment. You should check them out. You can buy the wire from Janns net craft or Barlows tackle. The only place I found the swept prop was at Precision tackle. The props are from a Deps buzz jet kit. The one on the far left is a shibui, I just bought it for comparison.

I know it makes it less impressive that I bought the jigs and did the wire bending myself. :(
Last edited by mike_honcho on Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:If you guys want to produce some really effective, fish catching "prop jigs", I'd suggest you look at the successful lures from the 1920s and 1930s. This type of lure was among the most popular casting bait at that time. Probably the most successful was the first bait to use a rubber skirt, the Hawaiian Wiggler series. This bait came in deep, mid-depth, shallow running, and buzz bait versions. Yesterday I caught two nice largemouth on the shallow version, the Hawaiian Wiggler #2, which has been catching fish for 80 years. This bait will run through junk where no spinnerbait dares to go.

Thanks. I will have to look these up, maybe i can find a better way to make them. :D

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am

How are you liking the talon? i got 6 Deps with owner cutting points, but might try some of the cheaper prop jigs to save some money on muskie lakes.

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Thu May 05, 2011 11:59 am

Pen3 wrote:How are you liking the talon? i got 6 Deps with owner cutting points, but might try some of the cheaper prop jigs to save some money on muskie lakes.

I haven't even fished the talon yet and to tell you the truth Im not a fan of the prop on it. The prop is longer and more straight and I feel like it would be better suited for open water situation. I have alot of vegetation in the main lake I fish and feel like I would be constantly taking grass off it. Then again I could be wrong as I said it hasn't touched the water. I do like the way Deps made there jigs but I have already spent too much this year and barely got fish due to my new born. So to ease the financial commitment I made my own prop jigs with a Deps prop. I think the swept prop hangs up less and puts off a more subtle flash, which is what I wanted. Again I could be wrong just fooling myself into thinking that way. I'll let you know about the talon when I get to fish it.

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Sun May 08, 2011 3:48 am

great looking skirts!

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 am

Weedsnager wrote:great looking skirts!
The flat skirt Deps uses has got to be the best i ever seen on spinners.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:20 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:If you guys want to produce some really effective, fish catching "prop jigs", I'd suggest you look at the successful lures from the 1920s and 1930s. This type of lure was among the most popular casting bait at that time. Probably the most successful was the first bait to use a rubber skirt, the Hawaiian Wiggler series. This bait came in deep, mid-depth, shallow running, and buzz bait versions. Yesterday I caught two nice largemouth on the shallow version, the Hawaiian Wiggler #2, which has been catching fish for 80 years. This bait will run through junk where no spinnerbait dares to go.
I love it when you do that!!!