Chatter bait primer

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chatter bait primer

Post by btune » Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 am

I have been wondering if the Chatterbait jigs are worth investing in or just a lot of hype? So I need some basic information on these:
1. Hype or great baits?
2. What are some keys on when and where to use them and do they replace another bait for you?
3. 3/8 oz. seems to be what I see mentioned most is that what most use?
4. Supposed to be weedless but many complain of hang ups in wood which I fish a lot?
5. I will use them on my Croix MH rod with 17 pound line which is called a spinnerbait rod.
6. Mostly shallow water use (0 - 5 feet)?

I have been using swim jigs more the last couple of years and think these baits may fit the hole between spinnerbaits and swim jigs?? Which brand seems to be an issue also.

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chatter bait primer

Post by white03 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 am

chattedrbaits aregreat baits, I use them in the grass where they work very well, not around wood though as they hang up too much. 3/8 is my most often weight. gold head, gold blade, white/chartruse skirt

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Thu May 26, 2011 11:24 am

btune wrote:I have been wondering if the Chatterbait jigs are worth investing in or just a lot of hype? So I need some basic information on these:
1. Hype or great baits?
2. What are some keys on when and where to use them and do they replace another bait for you?
3. 3/8 oz. seems to be what I see mentioned most is that what most use?
4. Supposed to be weedless but many complain of hang ups in wood which I fish a lot?
5. I will use them on my Croix MH rod with 17 pound line which is called a spinnerbait rod.
6. Mostly shallow water use (0 - 5 feet)?

I have been using swim jigs more the last couple of years and think these baits may fit the hole between spinnerbaits and swim jigs?? Which brand seems to be an issue also.
My opinions...

1. Not sure if they qualify for great baits... but they are fine, and have their place.
2. You can use them anywhere you would use a spinnerbait. The nice thing about the Chatter bait, is that it can be worked "extremely" slow and still tracks and vibrates nicely... or you can fish it almost like a buzzbait... or anywhere inbetween.
3. I fish mostly for smallies, so I like the 1/4 oz, but I'm sure the 3/8 would also work equally well.
4. Not weedless, but similar to most spinnerbaits.
5. The 1/2 oz might be better on that rod. :mrgreen:
6. With the ability to fish it really slow, you can fish it as deep as you want... within reason of course.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm a big fan of chatterbaits, I've caught two fish over 7 with them, no small feat in New Hampshire. There pretty good in the weeds, but hang up a lot around wood. 3/8oz green pumpkin/watermelon is by far the best size and color I've used. I use a homemade 6'6"medhvy with 15lbs mono and a 6.3:1 gear ratio reel for them and it's been perfect. Try them out I think you'll like them.

Versatile Futurian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Versatile Futurian » Sat May 28, 2011 1:24 pm

The store bought chatterbaits are terrible. I have heard that the Revenge brand of chatterbait is good, I know their spinnerbaits are good. The normal chatterbait brand sucks. I started making my own and have done really well using them. 3/8oz is your most versatile and what I throw the most. White with a gold blade and a white zoom speed craw trailer is good. My favorite is a brown with olive black and blue belly and a green pumpkin speed craw trailer with the tips dyed chartruese. Not as weedless as a spinnerbait but you will get the hang of working it over limbs. It does rip through weeds better than a spinnerbait. As long as the water has a good stain to it, the chatter will work.