Bucktail Jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bucktail Jigs

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 am

Hi TT,
I've been reading a lot of articles of how great Bucktail jigs are. Seems that this an "older" lure that people don't use as much. My closest experience with them, are hair raisers that I use for chasing Stripers in surf fishing.

When/where/and how do you guys fish Bucktail jigs?
Any recommendations on brands or custom made ones? colors? size?
And what is the advantage of using one, as opposed to regular jigs with silicon/rubber skirts?

Will be picking some up, so any suggestions, info, or experiences is much appreciated. :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bucktail Jigs

Post by l2yan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:01 am

PM Sent ;)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:17 am

Hi -

Count me as someone who never quit using hair jigs. They're just....different. They move different, feel different, and fish different. They're also something fish don't see a whole lot, their current Renaissance notwithstanding.

I fish them a lot after cold fronts, in cold water, or when fish are just plain "off" for some reason. I have a "panic" box in my boat that I pull out when I'm really struggling, and it's pretty much full of hair jigs of different types. They're subtle, the skirt moves a lot less, they're semi-translucent, and just less in your face than a typical silicone skirted jig.

To me, hair jigs is kind of a generic term too. I would count marabou, craft hair, or bunny strip jigs in the same category. After a bad cold front in clear water, a black or olive green 1/8 oz marabou jig can really save the day.

I fish them on light spinning gear (6 - 8 # fluoro with a 7' medium power fast action rod), and really experiment with retrieves, from a lift/drop to dragging to a slow, steady swim. I use as light a jighead as depth and wind will let me get away with - from as light as 1/16 oz up to 1/4 oz in deep water or big wind. You really want to be just fishing the weight of the jig, if that makes any sense. If you can feel your jig, it's too heavy. You really have to be on your toes, as hits can be really subtle. Sometimes it's just a line twitch, or it feels like your jig just dropped into a bowl of oatmeal. When in doubt, set the hook.

I do use hair jigs more aggressively sometimes, snapping them off the bottom in short, sharp hops with a pause: snap--snap--snap--pause----shake-shake-----snap. Especially with smallies, they can really clobber it sometimes. It's a little like stroking a football head I suppose. Same principle anyhow. I do this with a heaver (3/8 - 5/8 oz) head, and it's a pure reaction bit with the fast fall and sharp hops.

As far as where to get them - I tie my own, which isn't hard, and kind of fun. If you aren't into that sort of thing though:

Jensen Jigs http://www.jensenjigs.com/frame.html Paul Jensen is a Wisconsin jig tier who makes some of THE best jigs around. His bunny strip leech jigs are dynamite. You'll have to wait to get them, but it can be worth it...

Northland tackle http://northlandtackle.com Northland's Bug-a-boo and Buck-a-roo jigs are about the best non-custom hair jigs you can find. Some Canadian anglers used these to absolutely own smallie tournaments for a couple years until word got out on them. The Olive/black and black/brown Bug-a-boo jigs are my go-to cold front jigs.

NorthStar Custom Baits http://www.northstarbaits.com/home.html NorthStar makes some really unique hair jigs in his Hairy Craw series. They're a combination of hair and silicone. They come in 3 different head types (football, arky and flipping) and some awesome colors. They're great for snapping off the bottom, or as a change of pace from regular jigs. He has a HUGE color selection too. Tackle warehouse also carries some of them.

Hope this helps... Hair jigs are definitely worth spending some time figuring out. I don't use them all the time by any means, but when I need them, I'd hate to be without them...

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 am

I tie my own bucktail jigs for just about any situation. Simple small/early spring, Collared or not on ball, football or casting heads 1/8-3-8/late spring and summer. larger 1/4-1/2oz minnow heads for stroking in summer and fall. Any time of year when my # 1 finesse bait is failing i'll have one on as a back up. I'm fishing NJ in mostly clear water w/ little to no stain so finesse is a way of life and smallies will hit these things in the most pressured waters because their so natural with minimal action. You can find several quality jigs on the market custom or tackle co. mass produced so give it a try, they can turn a fishing trip into catching trip.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. So what I am gathering, is that bucktail jigs are mainly smallmouth bass lures, and are used in cold clear water most of the time? Any luck catching Largemouth with them?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 am

Yes, I catch a bunch of Largemouth on them too they are great this time of year if the fish are on drops. I tie my own too but my best color is mainly white. I think it just gives the fish a little different look, they mimic a shad very well and I throw big ones at least 3/4oz to 1 1/4oz. When they are on them fishing can be great. I have had numerous 50+ fish days here in the last few weeks. And as far a cold water I fish for smallmouth with them year round, with summer and winter being the 2 best times for them.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 am

Definitely catch largemouths on them too. Post cold front, a black or olive marabou jig is a great largemouth bait. White would be great if there are shad I'm sure, but no such animal in my part of the world so I can't say for sure. They're more traditionally thought of as smallie jigs maybe, but largies eat 'em too.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm

I have been tying my own as well. I bought the Walleye Jig mold for this, it is a wedge shape with sockets for eyes (I like eyes on the shad color ones). Will post some pics when I get a chance.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Update, got someone tying some for me right now, will post pics when I get them. Can't wait!

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Spro is another good brand choice. They have several series choices that really rock (Prime, Phat Flies, and Mudkickers are my favorites) for the species mentioned plus Wipers, Walleye, Crappie, Pike, most Trout and Salmon Species, plus Speckled Trout, and Redfish (saltwater varieties the last two).

Tim