Need some swim jig recommendations

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need some swim jig recommendations

Post by steve1206 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:26 am

Just found out my swim jigs from one of my favorite manufacturers won't hold up to braid (straightened the hook on a 3 1/2 lber.). Was looking at Revenge, Dirty and Talon for starters...Looking for good recommendation on a heavy, sharp hook that stands up to 50-65 lb. braid.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need some swim jig recommendations

Post by 518bassin » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:52 pm

I would say try Dirty Jigs California Swim Jig with the Gammy No Jack Hook IMHO.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:45 pm

If you can find some jigs that feature Owner Cutting Point Deep Throat hooks, there isn't a better jig hook around! I would say IMO, but you might take that for a fact :lol: , j/k

BB144 with Cabin Fever Lures (http://cabinfeverlures.webs.com/) makes some SICK rubber jigs that feature these outstanding hooks ;)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

oldman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 am

Check out brovarneybaits.com

They have a hook custom made by Gamagatsu made just for swim jigs. All of their jigs are hand painted and tied in Wisconsin. The color selection is awsome with colors available for bait matching around the country. They do custome work at a very reasonable price and have already figured out most of the discontinued BPS Monsure colors for those that got hooked on those colors. Silicon and Rubber jigs with or without tinsle are available

Good people, small american operation and quick service.

Check them out

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:04 am

Gambler puts a very good strong hook on its swim jig!
Fish on!

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:24 am

stratos20 wrote:Gambler puts a very good strong hook on its swim jig!
+1 for the Gambler very good swimjig, with a fat swing impact 5" you got a killer !
http://1world2fish.wordpress.com/

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Brovarney makes the best mass produced swim jig on the market in my opinon. They have been making them a lot longer than most and know how to do it. I also like omega, booyah (just have to tie your own skirts) and a few others.

Booyah jig was designed for heavy line, burning over mats and heavy cover. I like the Brovarney or omega everywhere else.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am

x2 on the Dirty Jigs. My favorite swim jigs yet. I like all three types, the original, the Cali, and the smaller one, depending on what waters I'm fishing. Great patterns, too. Alabama bream with a RI little dipper in sprayed grass is my go to in the spring.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 am

I've done really well with Northstar and Dirty swim jigs. I hear great things about Brovarney swim jigs as well.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 pm

dirty has strong hooks and the most realistic color combinations

Munkin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Munkin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm

steve1206 wrote:Just found out my swim jigs from one of my favorite manufacturers won't hold up to braid (straightened the hook on a 3 1/2 lber.). Was looking at Revenge, Dirty and Talon for starters...Looking for good recommendation on a heavy, sharp hook that stands up to 50-65 lb. braid.
I would never fish swim jigs on such heavy line myself but there are two basic types of swim jigs. Wisconsin which are light wire/light weedguard and Southern which are heavy wire/weedguard (basically a flippin jig with a low angle eye). Brovarney are wisconsin style and you will bend out the hook with 65lb braid. Look for a jig made with Mustad 32886 or similar hook. I cannot recommend one because I only fish the wisconsin style that I make myself.

Allen

Dale Meddock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dale Meddock » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 pm

No matter what brand of Jig, Swim jig or vibration jig you use. The hook is what gets your fish in the boat. Line size is only heavy enough to get the job done. I use heavy mono line all the time, it helps me keep my jig swimming at the right depth.

I even use 65 lb. braid when I have heavy cover around. Big bass can really bury you up quick, heavy braid will help with long cast. Just use a rod with a little flex in the tip, wants hooked you need to have a rod that really loads up. he will just get pinned and hauled to the boat.

Weak hooks should never be a problem for long. If they are bending open? They are just junk and should only be used with light line. We only use Gamakatsu Hooks.

Check out these companies
Dirty Jigs
Ganns
Revenge
Maddoglures

oldman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by oldman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:09 am

Drop dan an email at danbrovarney@hotmail.com

give him a mailing address and tell him you are from takle tour and he will send out a sample.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:23 am

oldman wrote:Drop dan an email at danbrovarney@hotmail.com

give him a mailing address and tell him you are from takle tour and he will send out a sample.
Funny.. that's the exact email address registered to your screen name.

Welcome to TackleTour Dan. No need to remain anonymous. Simply participate within our guidelines and all is good. However, if not, we will kill your account without warning.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

The Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Doc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:08 am

Brovarney swim jigs for lighter line/smaller profile. They can make them however you want them, too
Dirty Jigs California Swim Jig for heavier line/bigger profile, they come in a ton of colors, and work great in front of a Roboworm EZ Shad.
Custom Lures Unltd JB Custom PowerTeam Lures Staff