Jig refresh

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Jig refresh

Post by bnl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:18 am

I have a question for those of you who make your own jigs for personal use or for sale to others.

I have a bunch of jig heads without the skirt, some of them never used.  They are mostly Mann's Stone jigs.  I was wondering if it is possible to "refresh" them?

Strip the paint. Repaint. Replace the weedguard. And tie on a new skirt.

I would pay someone to do this, if it is possible.

Thanks

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jig refresh

Post by Weedsnager » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:37 am

go to fishingskirts.com they have everything you need, it's easy to do, you'll never buy a store bought jig again!

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:38 am

Weedsnager wrote:go to fishingskirts.com they have everything you need, it's easy to do, you'll never buy a store bought jig again!

Agreed! I bought $200 worth of supplies and have never turned back. Problem is choosing skirt colors ](*,) I think for all the colors I wanted my total was about $375 so I have to cut back a lot.

You can also buy wire to tie your jigs from Ace Hardware as well, and probably need a cheap fly tie clamp. You can also buy bands if you choose not to hand tie them. Have fun and the color combinations are limitless.

Also the jig head I love from that website are the Boss Woodwalkers, probably the most versatile jig head for me.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:59 am

i agree, tie them with wire. any craft shop,walmart,etc, they all have floral wire

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 pm

bnl wrote:I have a question for those of you who make your own jigs for personal use or for sale to others.

I have a bunch of jig heads without the skirt, some of them never used.  They are mostly Mann's Stone jigs.  I was wondering if it is possible to "refresh" them?

Thanks
BNL,
Everything is possible, the question is, is it practical to go through all that work. I sent you an IM.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:59 pm

cadman wrote:
bnl wrote:I have a question for those of you who make your own jigs for personal use or for sale to others.

Thanks
BNL,
Everything is possible, the question is, is it practical to go through all that work. I sent you an IM.

If you are only going to get the things to re do your jigs it would probably be better to buy new ones just because of cost with lure making supplies when you buy 2 of those and 3 of that. Find someone who makes the stuff and would be willing to do it at a fair price if you must have those particular jigs. If Cadman tells you something, believe it, the guy knows his stuff!!!
Barlow's Tackle

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:33 pm

there's nothing like catchin fish on homeade stuff. I've been tying my own jigs for 5 yrs or more and love doing so. here in jer-z we have long winters and tying keeps me from going crazzy waiting for spring. I have been buying my supplies from barlows and jans net craft since i started. unlike others mentioned I like using a strong waxed 240 venir thread. it really helps to have a good vise and if using thread a good ceramic bobbin. skirt combos are endless, to the point where you may get overwelmed by the options. good luck and enjoy your new craft. you don't have to go crazy to get started you can spend 100 bucks and tie enough jigs to get through a season or 2. being your just tying skirts the price won't be as high as if you were pouring jig molds, buying lead. you can buy heads already made painted or unpainted for a reasonable amt of $

Darkman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darkman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:12 pm

bnl wrote:

Thanks
it worth it to you then it is...to me it would not be....the paint is usauly powder coated and HARDEND so stripping the paint would be very very hard same with the removal of the weed guard...honestly just better off starting from sctach or get new ones...just what i think
Erick Prado....Peace

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Weedsnager wrote:go to fishingskirts.com they have everything you need, it's easy to do, you'll never buy a store bought jig again!
Is it just me or is that site horrible to navigate?