Twin Spins?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
BASSFIEND
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Twin Spins?

Post by BASSFIEND » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Im looking to restock on some TWIN SPIN type spinnerbaits but am currently unsatisfied with whats available atm.
I had some really nice ones that an old timer sold me at a garage sale years ago..and they were killer. All gone now. Im aware of the War Eagles,Terminators, the Shibui (Talon) and a few others. These baits are ok,Im just wondering about custom builders..
Anybody out there have a guy who makes or has made any twin spin type spinnerbaits for them? /do you know a brand that perhaps Im not aware of?
regards.......

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Twin Spins?

Post by 518bassin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 pm

I have never used them but Hart tackle makes a twin arm spinnerbait with one arm below the other instead of side by side.

BASSFIEND
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BASSFIEND » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Im looking for the side by side style....Im surprised with by only having 1 response...either peeps know how deadly they can be and our tight lipped about them or you guys need to try them out for yourselves.Im told that twin spin types were the first spinnerbaits to be made. IDK ,its just what I was told and later read after doing a bit of research. These baits are awesome in the right situation and will out perform standard/current styles. They helicopter better than a thumper and if you can remove the rubber/silicone skirt and replace it with buck hair thus slowing its descent you can create the ultimate bait for fishing steep ledges,brush piles,dock/bridge pilings.
Im going ask a few builders and see whats up. Remember guys whats old can become new again..think about it..

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

I've used the Ware Eagle version and they're not bad, but to me, THE best out there is the Hinged Twin Spin by Gopher Tackle gophertackle.com. They're a twin spin, but the arm is hinged at the head of the bait. With the hinge, the flutter really well, and the head is kind of banana-shaped (that's a bad description maybe, but it's kind of like a skinny Arky head) so they're very snag resistant.

They've been made for at least 25 years, and have something of a cult following in the upper Midwest. They're amazingly effective in early fall when weeds on the big weed flats in our natural lakes start to die off. Guys fish them with a craw trailer or pork chunk, and work them like a fast jig, or slow yo-yo spinnerbait - depending on how you want to look at it I guess. They're tied with natural rubber, so color selection is a little limited, but you can take the skirt off and replace it if you're picky on colors and want something beyond the basics. I don't use them often, and probably don't use them as much as I should, but man would I hate to be without them come fall.

Tackle trivia: Connie Peterson, who owns Gopher Tackle, is the originator of the Mushroom Head jig for jigworm fishing. When he showed it to Al Linder the first time, Al said "Connie, that's only half a jig!" Gopher's mushroom heads are killer...

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:44 am

Just go to eBay and search "Shannon Twin Spin". This was the original spinnerbait originating in 1917 and manufactured by Bill Jamison, Champion Tournament Caster. These baits are very common and were made up into the WWII era. They are common because they were so successful in catching bass for decades. I believe I wrote a blog column about this bait back when the TT blogs were going.

wsmith
Angler
Angler

Post by wsmith » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:23 am

I just picked up my first ones, Talon 3/8 & 1/2 oz in black. They are awesome looking! Any certian time i should fish these over a standard spinnerbait, I am new too these? Thanks