spinnerbait rubberband

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

spinnerbait rubberband

Post by tH3_Guy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I remember some strike king spinnerbait i purchase from walmart, used it once if any. Next season find it in a unuse tackle box stored in house. Rubberband just snaps or is about too.

Today notice a booyah mini spinnerbait same situation using a black rubberband that looks melted, really sticky.

Anybody else experience same or similar? Wonder if they make a cheaper set for walmart or just bad all around cheap models?

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: spinnerbait rubberband

Post by mrpao » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 am

That's pretty common. I think the main factor is heat. If left out in the heat the rubber band just seems to kinda melt away. Another factor might be plastic trailers. I've seen it when they gum up on skirts and bands.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 am

It was posssibly an old bait that may have been somwhere hot for a long time. I make my own spinnerbaits and jigs and when I do them for other people I'll wire tie the skirts but for my own personal use I will use the band. The reason I like it is I'm one of those who will change skirts to make my bait look different and I have some baits that are more than 2 years old and the bands are fine.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 am

Unfortunately, the rubber collar whether on a jig or a spinnerbait is susceptible to water and heat rot from either sitting in the sun, on a boat or in a hot tackle box. However the collars now are usually silicone and normally that shouldn't happen. But like anything else that is mass produced, maybe the collars are of a low material grade. So your solution is to re-tie your jigs or spinnerbaits with wire or thread and then throw away the collar.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Heat issue would be true but that mini was used once and forgotten about in doors amongst my little tackle storage aka warehouse i go to for restocking my planos

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 am

Hand tie the skirt when you buy them..

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 am

Nitroman77 wrote:Hand tie the skirt when you buy them..
This fixes all problems, plus the skirt billows out better.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 am

Nitroman77 wrote:Hand tie the skirt when you buy them..
Do this with 26 gauge wire or braid. Rubberband only skirts are a waste of skirt material. They will break in your tackle box or when you are in the middle of a hot bite when that skirt is the only one you have.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:33 pm

agee ya!

Wat a waste of rubberbands... :big grin: