Quick spinnerbait question

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Quick spinnerbait question

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Looking at the front blade on a double blade spinnerbait (the one attached to the arm with a clevis), why is this not also attached to the clevis with a ball bearing swivel? Not only would you be able to switch this blade out, but I would think it would spin rather than flail about. I'm sure there's some sort of really good explanation for it, I'm just unable to figure it out. Thanks!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Quick spinnerbait question

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:57 pm

There are a few reasons, the first reason is you will have to extend the wire coming out of the body because you will add an inch more length to the bottom blade. Then the clevis will have to be in a fixed position otherwise the torque would more than likely swing side to side thus affecting the spinning. There are some custom blades I saw that had a bend in the wire where another swivel was attached and had both blades spinning on swivels, I even got to fish with one and I'll tell you that I prefer the blade on the clevis. I'm not sure if you saw the way a spinner comes through the water but the wire compresses a bit and the blade on the clevis does spin but it spins in a wider arc because the clevis limits how tight it can spin. That said, I know from throwing a blade with 2 swivels in a tandem configuration the blade on a clevis actually helps stabilize the bait, when you use the bottom blade on a swivel also it does make more vibration but the bait will want to list to one side or the other and in moving water or where there is any current it really makes it tough.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Quick spinnerbait question

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 am

The blade on the clevis stabilizing the bait makes a lot of sense, as do you other points. Just for that reason alone though I can see why no one uses a swivel on the clevis. Thanks for the explanation!