jigs or creatures/plastics in summer

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

jigs or creatures/plastics in summer

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:55 pm

I have always relied on plastics more than jigs in summer, besides throwing heavy football jigs to deep structure, does anyone stay with jigs in summer or am i right in changing over to mainly RI Beavers now that the waters in the mid 70's. I make a ton of jigs and feel like they sit in the box from july to mid sept. Should I be fishing them?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: jigs or creatures/plastics in summer

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 pm

I use jigs all year, in the summer if I have dirty water I'll use a jig and for clear water or stained water with 2' or more visibility I'll go with a soft plastic. What happens to me is the jigs I'm using most tend to be my finesse jigs which are like an Eakins jig only I use smaller weights, 3/16oz, 1/4oz, and 5/16oz mostly. I've also started making micro jigs for summer, normally I use those in cold water tied with hair but I now tie them with silicone and use a small trailer like a Culprit DW1 trailer or a Prowler Lures Small chunk, these have got fish to bite when they would only tap a worm. I say experiment with the jig during summer, they will work especially if there is weather change of some kind.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:59 am

Green pumpkin jigs around the bluegill beds in early summer are a no brainer. I don't fish either one very much as summer moves on in our deep Socal reservoirs because the fish are often deeper chasing bait. But, I usually have a jig tied on all summer anyway because I love to play with almost anything in a skirt! :shock:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:02 am

toddmc wrote: But, I usually have a jig tied on all summer anyway because I love to play with almost anything in a skirt! :shock:
:lol:

I've been flipping a black/blue jig into open pockets in grass this summer with success. I've also picked up some punching jigs and have been pairing them with RI beavers, have yet to get bit on it though.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 am

Teal101 wrote:
toddmc wrote: But, I usually have a jig tied on all summer anyway because I love to play with almost anything in a skirt! :shock:
:lol:

I've been flipping a black/blue jig into open pockets in grass this summer with success. I've also picked up some punching jigs and have been pairing them with RI beavers, have yet to get bit on it though.
Most of our water storage lakes have had the plugs pulled on them and are losing a foot or more a week. This, unfortunately, doesn't leave much grass to flip. I'll be at the Sacramento Delta next month fishing the frog and the jig around the slop. I love combat fishing on the Delta even more now that I don't get to do it much on my home lakes.

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:51 am

When summer temps get hotter I always have a jig tied on and ready to go.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:54 pm

I always have a jig ready to go. I will not leave any deep spots without trying one, especially after they quit hitting worms.

fishbone
Angler
Angler

Post by fishbone » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:27 am

Bucktail jig is usually the only lure I carry all year round. Just curious, does anyone flip with bucktails? I never tried it.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 pm

I use jigs all year long as well. They seem to work for me.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 am

The warmer the water temps, the shallower and faster I swim a jig...or I will rip them off the bottom and let fall along weed edges.

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:14 pm

It all depends on water clarity and weather conditions. In dirty water, I will throw a jig whether its cloudy or clear out. In clear water, if it is overcast then i will throw a jig. In clear sky conditions, I will throw a soft plastic. During winter and pre-spawn I throw nothing but jigs(usually black/blue).