Swim Jigs....when to use them???

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swim Jigs....when to use them???

Post by BigG » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 am

I fish a swim jig earlier and later in the year than a spinnerbait. Also fish it went the sun is too high for spinnerbait. Nice thing about it is you can also slow it up and fish like a regular jig, especially around weeds due to the pointed nose.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:25 am

When bass are on a bluegill bite is when I have the most success with them

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:22 am

Pre-Spawn and during the spawn, only use Strike King Tour Grade due to the light wire hook. Spawning fish have a hard time committing to baits and this is the only light wire swim-jigs I have found and they increase my hook up ratio. The thick gauge hooks you have to set the hook like you're fishing any other jig but with the tour grade they hook themselves. 3/8oz with a rage chunk on the back = $$$

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:02 pm

I fish them pre spawn through post spawn in and around light cover. Especially grass and tules.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:36 pm

All spring and all summer for me

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:22 am

I use them all year long. I drag them slooooow on bottom, retrieve just ticking the bottom, in the middle of the water column, and sometimes shallow working them though brush and weeds. They also work great above submerged weeds, letting them tick the tops and lightly ripping the free.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 am

love the swimjig, my go to bait.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am

I’ve been using them lately and I must say that the Gambler EZ vibes 3.75 is an EXCEPTIONAL trailer no need to rig it upside down or anything
You feel it thumping on the retrieval. I’m not using anything special my 15lb big game bantam MGL on a Valkyrie rod gets it done.
I’ve noticed an increase in bites after going to this trailer

When to use them is up to you.
I use them and slow roll or drag them near the bottom ive burned them under the surface and just yesterday I casted are this tree seven times and nothing but on the next cast he crushed it. And I’m not even setting the hook I’m just reeling because I’m experimenting and still they don’t let go.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible