Northstar

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Northstar

Post by Mothra » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Looks like their website is back up, has anyone used them since the ownership change? Quality still the same?

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Northstar

Post by BassFisher83 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:48 am

I haven't but am posting because I am curious as well.
Matt

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 am

Sure have and the quality is just as good. The owner/business is now based out of WI instead of MN but the skirt material, molds, led, powder painting is 99% identical. I have ordered about 5 times from the new owner with no issues at all. If you have any questions or concerns I believe there is an email address on the website for you to contact him at.

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 am

Thanks!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:39 am

i contacted them thru fb a week or so ago. i didn't realize it wasn't the same person i got stuff from 4-5 years ago.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 am

Jason Penn wrote:i contacted them thru fb a week or so ago. i didn't realize it wasn't the same person i got stuff from 4-5 years ago.
Northstar changed ownership a few years ago. The business moved from MN to WI. The prior owner was Chris now it is Brent. I have ordered hundreds from both. If there are colors or something you want that isn't on the website Brent has been great to deal with and willing to accommodate most any custom order request.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:26 am

It's April 29, and I decided to buy some....

BUT nearly all that I wanted, like 3/8 in various colors are unavailable.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:28 am

BlaineFred wrote:It's April 29, and I decided to buy some....

BUT nearly all that I wanted, like 3/8 in various colors are unavailable.
Is it unavailable or is it just out of stock??? What is it you want in the 3/8oz size??
Barlow's Tackle

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:34 am

The Northstar website says that that weight and color are unavailable....

I can only guess that means out of stock...

I was looking for some shad colors, also a white/chartreuse.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 pm

BlaineFred wrote:The Northstar website says that that weight and color are unavailable....

I can only guess that means out of stock...

I was looking for some shad colors, also a white/chartreuse.
Just email Brent and he will make whatever you want in whatever size or color you want.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Also read the red print on the website. The website shows his current inventory but through a quick email one could obtain about anything they wanted. I have submitted many orders via email vs the website and he had them to me in a 1-3 weeks depending upon how busy he was.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed May 03, 2017 5:41 am

It's an odd way of doing business.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat May 06, 2017 8:19 pm

BlaineFred wrote:It's an odd way of doing business.
He is one man show doing this is as a side business. The prior owner was tying baits and doing wood working trades so long he ended up with carpal tunnel. It is not easy.

Lockjaw jigs for example is 6-8 weeks out for build time. A lot of these places keep lower inventories of make the baits to order or perhaps only try to lightly stock the more popular styles, colors, and weights.

If you don't think this acceptable then just by non hand tied bannded colar jigs from any big name place.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat May 06, 2017 10:19 pm

My comment about it being an odd way of doing business...

I meant that it's odd to list a jig as not available, but have it available to order via a message to the owner.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun May 07, 2017 2:03 am

BlaineFred wrote:My comment about it being an odd way of doing business...

I meant that it's odd to list a jig as not available, but have it available to order via a message to the owner.
Look at a lot of custom tackle places. Guys that pour their own plastics usually do the same type of thing. They make them up as customers order them and keep some stock of the more popular choices on hand. Also think about the amount of storage space in ones home they would have to use if they kept "stock" of everything they list on their website. Look at this example.

NS has a new gill color in the Original Swim jig and Flip and Swim jig. They sell these in 4 different weights each. Therefore he would have to have 8 separate bins for finished jigs just for this color of bait. Add in the fact they have 8-15 colors of each jig and something like 5+ styles of jigs not to mention shakey heads, spinnnerbaits, bladed baits etc. Just keeping all the skirt material, lead, hooks, paint etc on hand is a mess enough but having lots of extra inventory is a tough task for someone unless they have a massive amount of storage space.

Also consider this. Most of the heads are layered colors. Some may have only one, but a lot of them have 2 or 3. Plus the swim style jigs get eyes. The baits are all wire tied not banded colared so again it is more time and labor to complete.

If you feel that there are certain colors and sizes you want but don't want to bother with an email because they are not on the website that is up to you. It has never stopped me from ordering nor many others like myself.