Buzzbait Setup

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Buzzbait Setup

Post by Abu Daimano » Tue May 24, 2016 10:20 am

So ive decided to commit more effort to throwing buzzbaits this year. I have a few different brands/models, mainly going to throw all black Calvitrons though. What would be your ideal Buzzbait set up? Mono or braid? Faster or moderate action? Reel ratio? And lastly length & power? Really not sure where to start, may throw them on the same set up I use for shallow burning spinnerbaits - MH F with mono and around a 7:1

Thoughts?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Buzzbait Setup

Post by Randingo » Tue May 24, 2016 12:12 pm

If you're primarily throwing 3/8 - 1/2oz baits the MH fast or moderate fast is a pretty good starting place, using 15-20# mono or 30-40# braid and the aforementioned mono as a leader. If you're going to mainly throw 1/4oz baits, which is a kind of finesse buzzbait approach that a few of my friends prefer, I'd go for a M fast and 12#. In my mind, it fishes well on the same gear I use for spinnerbaits, but some people may prefer a slower rod. I've just never had any problems hooking or holding fish on buzz baits with fast action rods and prefer my buzzbaits large and loud.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 26, 2016 1:56 am

I throw buzzbaits a lot. The fish on my home lake, as well as one of my backyard golf course lakes, will eat the buzzbait most of the year. The fish have continued to do so for as long as I can remember. 15-20lb flouro works really well for me because it has just the right amount of stretch. You don't need a floating line because your bait is moving. You don't need mono because you have a strong single hook. Mono can be good if you are impatient and you have a tendency not to wait to feel the fish before you set the hook. I will throw braid if I am fishing really heavy vegetation, but I find that I tear holes in the fishes mouth and I lose more fish with braid.
I use a 7ft. heavy fast action (4 power) rod with a 7.1 ratio reel when making shorter target oriented casts. I use a 7'3" heavy fast action rod with a 7.3 ratio reel when covering open water quickly with the extra large double arm buzzbaits, and also in windy conditions because a buzzbait will float in the air on the cast and create a lot of slack that needs to be taken up quickly.

BullBass
Angler
Angler

Post by BullBass » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:03 am

I throw buzzbaits quite a bit and I throw mine on a 7' Powell Max rod (MH with a moderate/fast tip) and a 6.3:1 Daiwa Tatula Type R. with usually 15lb mono on it. Never have problems missing fish or with hooksets with this setup. I guess Im a little different as I like to slow roll my buzzbaits a bit but can still burn them with the 6.3 if thats what the bass want. I generally only throw 2 buzzbaits. A Cavitron for calmer days and clearer water and the recently discontinued Boogerman racket buzz when there is a little chop or stain in the water. Another trick I use is to throw on a 4" swimbait trailer, I like the Lake Fork Tackle Magic Shad's w/ boottail for this but just about any will work. Sometimes I leave the skirt on sometimes I take it off. Ive won quite a bit of money in kayak and bank fishing tournaments fishing buzzbait's this way. I almost always have one tied on in the morning no matter the conditions. Buzzbaits are a confidence bait for me. I'd throw one all day if the bass keep hitting it. :lol:

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm

This is my latest set up, so I can't say too much about it yet. It's a Powell max 3D 734, chronarch ci4 7:1 with 65lb braid. Gonna be a spook rod aswell. I have caught one solid fish with it so far. Also works good as a light flipping/punching rod for bank fishing. I used to throw buzzbaits and spooks on straight mono, which has worked fine. But I think I'm gonna like braid a lot better for keeping fish pegged. And the 7:1 reel for getting the bait on top of the water quicker, then you can control how fast you want it. You want a little longer and stiffer rod. The length helps with hook ups and keeping the bait on top. And you can get away with a heavier power because of the jig hook.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 am

Tatula 6'10"MHF with a Lew's Pro Z 7.1:1 is my current setup. I seem to alternate between 30# braid and 12/15# mono.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:25 am

J dream 7.9 with 50 pound TCB 8 or Smackdown on a Quantum Accurist 7'6" heavy rod.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:29 am

I use 2 different rods for buzz baits and both double as shallow spinnerbait rods. I use a 6'8" fenwick autos mh/fast for roll casting and target casting around light to moderate cover with a 7 gear tatula and 14 lb mono. I use a tatula 7'1" mh for longer casts or around heavy cover with the same reel and 17lb line. I have also fished big buzz baits around heavy cover on my tatula frog rod, but it's only been a few times. I also use a spinning rod when throwing small 1/8 oz baits in ponds. I have a few reels with sv spools and could use baitcasting for the 1/8oz baits, but it's hard to get a decent cast at times in ponds and the spinning gear really helps

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I use a Cumara 7'2" MH paired with a Excence DC loaded with 50lb braid. The 34 IPT gets the buzzbait to the surface in a hurry. :D

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 am

Dobyns Champion 734C with Zillion TWS in 7.3:1

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 am

Depending on cover...

Lew's BB1 Pro 7:1 or Lew's Custom Pro SLP 7.5:1

For heavier cover (grass) - Dobyns 736CB Glass (Their chatterbait rod) with 50lb braid

For non-grass - MB XX Extreme Mission with 50lb braid

Take your pick of buzzbaits... Just make sure they squeeeeal!

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Megabass orochi xx Diablo spec R w/ Daiwa sv 103

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm

You can use mono or you can use braid, but don't use mono and braid. No leaders with buzzers. It's really not necessary your just adding an extra knot to the equation and because it's a moving/reaction bait fish aren't going to see your line before it's too late anyway.