Jig colors for Clear Lake

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Jig colors for Clear Lake

Post by Darth Baiter » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:16 am

Hey guys, I am planning on going to Clear Lake in March or April, and I plan on throwing some jigs, mostly swim jigs. What are some colors or color/trailer combos you guys like to use up there? Thanks in advance!

Danny

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jig colors for Clear Lake

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:05 am

Look at the response to your same question on westernbass.com. Those guys at Clearlake Outdoors wont steer you wrong. They are great guys that seemed more than willing to share info when I was in during the first week of August. All of the tackle shops around the lake are very helpful. They can help you fine-tune your pattern if you are unsatisfied or just feeling lost. I'm stubborn and I like to figure things out myself, but it's always nice to verify your results with the local sticks.
The black and blue in dirty water and the green pumpkin in clear water worked for me in August. Shad colors and green pumpkin work well for your spinnerbaits, swimjigs, bladed jigs, and buzzbaits.
Dan Isaac's weekly report on the previously mentioned site is very useful as a starting point. His report is one of the few lake reports in the West that I would pay much attention to.
Here is a little info that I posted after my last trip.http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69340

Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darth Baiter » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:08 am

Thank you Todd!! I did see his response, but yours helped a lot too! Think I have an idea what I need now.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:47 am

One last thing, make sure that you buy or tie up a lot more than you think you will need. The lava rock in Clearlake will claim a ton of jigs. The fish really like the rock and wood docks. The fish were stacked shallow in the narrows area in August. This area is almost all lava rock.
I keep about an extra dozen black and an extra dozen green pumpkin jig heads in both football and flipping style heads with plenty of skirt material ready to experiment or re-tie if I lose more than expected.

Darth Baiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darth Baiter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks, that helps a lot too!!