Does the wire bending method effectively prevent your spinner from twisting the line?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Does the wire bending method effectively prevent your spinner from twisting the line?

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:43 am

I'm talking about this.
http://www.rofb.net/faq/faq_inline_spinner.htm
To me it looks like it's gonna twist even more violently by having its center of mass offset... I thought it'd only work under very slow retrieve with little or no current. Has anyone tried this method and come out with a good result?

Oh, and is the Blue Fox Vibrax really twist-proof? They claim it's got an anti-twist feature but I've seen a couple underwater action footages and some twisted while some didn't.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Does the wire bending method effectively prevent your spinner from twisting the line?

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 am

I'm interested in the answer to your first question (bent shaft), too--and if someone has a lot of experience fishing such a modified spinner, I'd like to know if there was any difference in catch rate vs. straight shafted spinners. Fifteen years or so ago, I tried a spinner sold with a pre-bent shaft (might have been an Eagle Claw) that didn't twist line...or catch fish.

As to the Vibrax, I can say that the #2 original style, no hair on the hook, does twist light (<.009") nylon monofilament line.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Does the wire bending method effectively prevent your spinner from twisting the line?

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:45 am

It's the same reason jig heads for swimbaits with the line tie on the top of the head don't cause as much line twist. The center of gravity is way below the line tie.
Nothing is fool proof, but this is pretty good.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:10 am

I cannot answer your question - I will have to try the method.
Still, if line twist is an issue maybe this will help:
OWNER 52459 SINKER HOOK W CRANE SWIVEL
- I use spinners a lot - Mepps, Ilba, Mapso/Lukris, Panther Martin, Vibrax etc. - especially size 2-3. These owner snap/swivels have been great for me.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:14 am

And no, blue fox vibrax is not twist proof. Some spinners, e.g. Savage Gear Caviar (only "ok" in size3+) cause less line twist than others but none are twist proof as far as I know... The snap/swivel solution is not twist proof either, but it helps a lot imo.