Jigs with Living Rubber

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
mokujon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Jigs with Living Rubber

Post by mokujon » Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 am

Just wondering what jigs you would recommend to throw that have living rubber skirts. Heard lots of great things about living rubber compared to normal silicone skirts. I'm mostly interested in football head but would be open to try any other style. Thanks!!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jigs with Living Rubber

Post by smalljaw » Wed May 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Living rubber has a little more action than silicone but it doesn't mean it makes it better. There are also a few different types of living rubber, there is the flat line rubber which looks like silicone, then you have the round rubber, and old school square rubber. I also have to add in the fact that round rubber has different thickness grades that go heavy, medium and fine, the fine is often referred to as "frogs hair" rubber. I mention this because they all act differently, the square rubber actually has less action than silicone but it creates more bulk with less material and it moves a lot of water and is used for profile purposes. Your best bet to get a good living rubber jig is to go custom but if I was going to get a mass produced living rubber football jig I'd go with a Pepper Customs living rubber football jig or a Greenfish Tackle Square rubber jig. Just so you know, you need to make sure rubber skirted jigs are dry when you put them away and if they are going to be stored in a box for any length of time you should remove them and place in a bag with unscented talc. The reason is the rubber will melt together and stick to itself and take a set (kink), I've replaced at least a thousand rubber skirts for anglers over the years because those not familiar with the material tend to treat it like silicone and rubber isn't as forgiving.
Barlow's Tackle

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Bass Patrol makes football headed jigs with living rubber skirts.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm

I. mix between living rubber and silicone is nice because you can accent the bland straight colors of rubber with just accent about every color of silicone. There are several companies on tw that offer this type of jig. So you get the movement of the rubber and the colors of silicone.
:!:

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:25 am

I posted this previously, but after two seasons all my jigs are rodstrainer:

I ordered all of Dirty Jigs OD flipping, Skinny Bear Griz, and Dink's Flippin'-Pitchin jigs, looking for living rubber backed by a gammy hook.

Where to start:
Cheapest (of the three).
Hand Tied (with wire).
Rattles included.
Awesome finish (paint/details).
True "heavy" gauge living rubber.
Wide stable head design great for skipping and standing up (of the three the head design easily "stood" at rest without tipping side to side pushing the hook side to side).

Nothing scientific, no financial interests, but couldn't be more happy. Scoured the web, and found the Rodstrainer FB page, and called looking for info on a 1/4oz option. I expected to get a VM or associate (anyone but Dink), but sure enough he picked up and we had a great convo and wouldn't hesitate to recommend rodstrainer tackle to anyone looking for a great jig at a great price supporting a seemingly great guy. Not to put down anyone else's product or efforts.

I will say that I placed a follow up order with Skinny Bear direct (June 7), and followed up on June 25 and haven't received as much as a peep. It's not my style to blast, but worth sharing my experience with the community here. They've lost one customer...

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:42 am

Grab some Northstar jigs from their website. They have The black series in football or Alien head which features living rubber plus their Southpaw series is like a beefed up swimjig or grass jig with living rubber. Under $4 a jig wire tied. Right now they have a sitewide 30% off for Black Friday while supplies last!! 8-)

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Skinny Bear makes some good ones

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am

The older pigskin jigs from Booyah were very good in my opinion. One of the best summer baits I have used when the fish are relating to craws.