Everything SpinnerbaiT!!

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Everything SpinnerbaiT!!

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:44 pm

Today had a window of opportunity to go out on the water.
The wife and I hadn’t done it in a while. For whatever reason I never got on plane just puddled out to my first spot. When we were about to leave there was no power what so ever. I used the T-motor back to the ramp.

Anyways a guy had gave me a tip to use spinnerbaits on this body of water and I’ve had success but not to the degree I would like. In fact the only sb fish that I’ve gotten on this body of water came from throwing parallel to the pads and got bite but nothing BIG. When throwing into the pads and working it out I’m getting bowfins and although I love it I can’t claim them.

So I’m reassessing my sb approach.
They aren’t the first lures i reach for. I use Primarily a loomis sBR 6’9”
1/2 spinnerbaits are my goto in 15lb big game and OG modified to be a type R basically. My other setup is an IMX843 TDZ reel BE spool and 15 floro
Lastly is a Valkyrie 7’1” bantam reel and big game.

My approach could use some help as well as when where and how.
I like Indiana blades but mainly using willow leafs.

This is a river and I’ve seen Mr. Clunn come down and demolish fish with a sb
Actually met him in person but it was before a classic tournament so he was tight lipped in information. I’ve been reading up in Bassmaster mags that are probably 15-29 years old. Any help here would be great as well.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Re: Everything SpinnerbaiT!!

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:59 pm

Where are you fishing? What is the water temperature?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:35 am

It isn't as much the body of water as it is the conditions. Water clarity and sky conditions will dictate blade type more than baitfish or cover will. A lot of variables but a few general things to help that you can add to trial and error. Calm water, no wind during bright sunny skies is a condition that I won't pick up a spinnerbait, it will be one of the last baits I'd use. Now, times I will pick up a spinnerbait is during overcast skies, wind or not, low light is a good time for them. Also, any time there is wind, a light breeze just enough to ripple the water is all you need. Blade styles for me are a mixed bag, if there is more than 1' visibility or if I'm burning the bait I want a willow blade, sun I'm using nickel (silver) and overcast I'm using brass (gold). Indiana blades for me are the only blade style I use in which forage dictate it. When I have clear enough water for willows but the dominant forage is bluegill, that is when I like the Indiana blade, I use those a lot during the bluegill spawn. Of course Colorado blades are for dirty water but I like using them to wake and I use that technique if the fish are reacting to topwater but won't commit. The fish swirl on a buzzbait but won't hit a popper or walking bait, that is when you wake a spinnerbait with a Colorado blade, you can keep it high enough without burning it, perfect presentation. The other blade I use is the Olympic or mag willow and often called an Oklahoma blade, I've been using it a lot more than the Colorado the last few years. A double mag willow spinnerbait has a lot more thump than an Indiana blade and more flash than a Colorado blade, you could actually use this blade in place of the Indiana or Colorado. This is just my guide, there are a lot of other variable that come into play but most of that is based on trail and error and nothing is written in stone. There are times when I will use the exact opposite of what I think should be used based on the way the fish are reacting to my bait.
Barlow's Tackle

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:58 pm

I’m fishing a river channel that is affected by the tide but that being said a lot of good information give. Sometimes I am fishing for the one fish that will eat a specific bait rather than the one bait that a variety of fish will eat on a given day. That’s something I’ve got to work on I know.

I used to be petrified of throwing a sb in pads now it’s second nature. I’m going back the the basics and starting with the double willow blades and go from there.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:48 pm

War eagle in the rivers here. Willow double silver. Remember. Sometimes the best lures even a pro hasnt figured out.