Dark Sleeper as dropshot rig weight

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dark Sleeper as dropshot rig weight

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 am

Has anybody else used the Dark Sleeper as the weight for a drop shot rig?

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dark Sleeper as dropshot rig weight

Post by Warhawk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Not a bad idea, kind of expensive though. I’m planning to try using a tube jig as a drop shot weight.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

The idea is sound, I frequently do this for halibut dropshots (2oz grub or buck tail jig as the weight). But that’s on heavy gear in sand. I’d be worried about losing a bunch of Dark Sleepers when used on a typical bass rig.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:39 am

Brilliant in concept, failed in execution.

Ballin21
Angler
Angler

Post by Ballin21 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:01 am

Football head with a hula grub and a drop shot worm above.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 am

I haven't tried it, but see two problems:
  • I would expect a hard hookset to be needed to set the fin-shrouded hook of the Dark Sleeper, which requires stouter line than is typically favored for dropshotting.
  • The pressure of setting the hook if the bottom bait is taken is going to put serious stress on the knots on both ends of the short line between both baits, since there is little room for stretch between them; this could require even stouter line than would usually be used to fish the bottom bait alone.
Again, since I haven't tried this, the above is just armchair theorizing, but it seems to me this combined rigging is sub-optimal for both lures. Doesn't mean it isn't worth a try; it could speed up the process of establishing a pattern. If bass were ignoring the bottom lure while several ate the dropshotted lure in the combo, then one would either replace the bottom lure or try a pure dropshot rig with lighter line. (But you still wouldn't know whether the bottom lure would get bitten if you fished it with the lighter line you could use if there weren't a dropshot knot above that lure, so even in this case the hypothetical benefit for pattern establishment is limited.)

I would be interested to read about successes anglers have had using a dropshot with a bottom lure.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:34 pm

The other issue you'll have is that a Dark Sleeper is so soft that it becomes hard to feel bottom. It's worse than a tube in that regard. That's where using a heavy jig for halibut dropshotting is great because you're just dragging along sand and don't care about feeling bottom. But if you're used to the sensitivity that a tungsten weight gives you while DS'ing for bass, you're in for a big surprise :)

If pressed to use this technique, I might Jika-rig a tube as the actual DS weight instead.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:16 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 am
I haven't tried it, but see two problems:
  • I would expect a hard hookset to be needed to set the fin-shrouded hook of the Dark Sleeper, which requires stouter line than is typically favored for dropshotting.
  • The pressure of setting the hook if the bottom bait is taken is going to put serious stress on the knots on both ends of the short line between both baits, since there is little room for stretch between them; this could require even stouter line than would usually be used to fish the bottom bait alone.
Again, since I haven't tried this, the above is just armchair theorizing, but it seems to me this combined rigging is sub-optimal for both lures. Doesn't mean it isn't worth a try; it could speed up the process of establishing a pattern. If bass were ignoring the bottom lure while several ate the dropshotted lure in the combo, then one would either replace the bottom lure or try a pure dropshot rig with lighter line. (But you still wouldn't know whether the bottom lure would get bitten if you fished it with the lighter line you could use if there weren't a dropshot knot above that lure, so even in this case the hypothetical benefit for pattern establishment is limited.)

I would be interested to read about successes anglers have had using a dropshot with a bottom lure.

The other issue you'll have is that a Dark Sleeper is so soft that it becomes hard to feel bottom. It's worse than a tube in that regard. That's where using a heavy jig for halibut dropshotting is great because you're just dragging along sand and don't care about feeling bottom. But if you're used to the sensitivity that a tungsten weight gives you while DS'ing for bass, you're in for a big surprise :)

If pressed to use this technique, I might Jika-rig a tube as the actual DS weight instead.
I was thinking about the dual fluke rig when it came to me. We have a lot of big schools of threadfin shad AND I figured it would allow me to work two depths simultaneously, use the bass’ natural instincts to trigger a bite and work through a school a little bit more efficiently.
There was something else I hadn’t consider prior to putting it into use, multiple baits on one line. Some states don’t allow two separate lures on the same line at the same time. South Carolina does allow it.
I won’t give up on the concept just yet, although I wasn’t a saltwater angler, there are a few different types of rigging options before walking away from the drawing board.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 pm

What about a Nomase Gill ( weighted of course ) as your weight?

Or

a nedrig?

Neither would mean that you had to have a hard hook set. If you were to beef up the tackle a tiny bit, I would try a tungsten jig but its just a thought.. I know you were looking to use the Dark Sleeper but i haven't used them I would however try the Nomase Gill as its like a vibrating lure from what I've read .
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible