Spinnerbaits for Pre / Post Cold Fronts

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spinnerbaits for Pre / Post Cold Fronts

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:40 pm

I’m not sure what temperatures you guys 🛑 STOP throwing sb but up until recently I would pack them up till spring even though I’m here in the sunshine state. I was talking with a buddy of mine in texas and he throws them all year round ( that was the extent of the tip).

My question to you is do you use them pre and post cold fronts and what
Setup have you found to be the most useful in catching fish?
What are you looking for before deciding to throw them or do you just put them away when the water gets cold?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinnerbaits for Pre / Post Cold Fronts

Post by Bass Junkie » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:19 am

I’m far from an expert but a spinner bait is a go-to does me in cold spring water, probably from the mid 40’s on up. I really enjoy throwing them, and have developed a lot of confidence in them during the prespawn. Most of my spinner baits weigh in between. 5/16-3/8 of an ounce, so I really gravitate towards a 6’6” medium casting rod. I like a similar rod for both jerkbaits and spinner baits, with a fast action tip that transfers into a blank that loads really deeply. I know this is just a bunch of snippets of information and that a lot of it isn’t very subjective to the type of fishing I do personally, and I’m sure my NE Ohio waters differ greatly from yours. Hopefully this helps!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:54 pm

I caught this fish, 9-14, on a spinnerbait the 3rd week of January in 3 feet of water......so yes, they work year-round, at least here in GA.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:54 pm
I caught this fish, 9-14, on a spinnerbait the 3rd week of January in 3 feet of water......so yes, they work year-round, at least here in GA.

Nice fish, may have to come get some lesson ;)
believe it or not I am just getting back into them especially after learning how to bring them through the lilly pads.
Caught a huge bowfin and just put it up but now I am making a come back with them.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:19 am
I’m far from an expert but a spinner bait is a go-to does me in cold spring water, probably from the mid 40’s on up. I really enjoy throwing them, and have developed a lot of confidence in them during the prespawn. Most of my spinner baits weigh in between. 5/16-3/8 of an ounce, so I really gravitate towards a 6’6” medium casting rod. I like a similar rod for both jerkbaits and spinner baits, with a fast action tip that transfers into a blank that loads really deeply. I know this is just a bunch of snippets of information and that a lot of it isn’t very subjective to the type of fishing I do personally, and I’m sure my NE Ohio waters differ greatly from yours. Hopefully this helps!
Thanks for the tips.
I'm no expert either. I finally found the niche for this 6'11" PA and thats spinnerbaits so Im back at it..