Is the Senko Still King in 2020?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Is the Senko Still King in 2020?

Post by The Pond King » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am

There’s been much discussion already on if senkos really are the best and if knockoffs actually compare in performance to the original. For the longest time and even still to large degree today, I hold the position that the original senko is the best out of all the other copycat stickbaits. In my opinion, you just can’t beat the salt content in a senko. It’s heavy and casts like a bullet. I love that it’s super soft, and despite people complaining about the durability, I actually like that it’s not durable; the same materials that make it super soft and breakdown are what make it’s so realistic and enticing to fish. Moreover, I’ve read in “101 Fish Catching Secrets,” by Roland Martin that the very first plastic worms were very hard. I’d much rather take the modern soft plastics and have a higher hook up percentage and more realistic action of the lure which leads to catching more fish at the cost of durability any day. The fact that the senko is supple yet heavy and densely packed with salt just screams quality to me. The subtle action and effectiveness of the senko make me feel like I’m fishing live bait. However, with all of that being said, it’s now 2020. There have been a lot more competitors making their own unique versions of the soft plastic stickbait. Just take a look at all the different stickbaits on TackleWarehouse: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Soft_St ... STICK.html. It used to be that if you weren’t fishing the real senko, you’re missing out on catching some fish, but now, it’s seems like a whole different ball game. I think the market has possibly finally caught up to the original senko. If not, dare I say, there might be knockoffs superior to the senko.

I’ve recently watched some videos that compare knockoffs against the senko, and it has started to make me second guess if the senko is still king. This video I found on YouTube compares 20 different knockoffs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6DiDeaseA&t=24s. From that comparison, I thought that the Biospawn Exostick, Reaction Innovations Pocket Rocket, Doomsday Tackle Roku, Powerbait Max Scent General, Keitech Salty Core Stick were the standout competitors that could hold their own in terms of the action of the bait. I cannot comment on anything else as the action is all that I can see in a video. There is no way to determine other characteristics such as durability, castability, etc. without using it in person.

Another one that stuck out to me that wasn’t in that video was the Riot Baits Baton Worm. Check out the underwater footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzM4bYgPBRA. The action on this worm wacky rigged is insane.

I personally have tried many knockoff brands, but for me, from all knockoffs that I have personally tried, the senko is still king. However, I haven’t tried all of the different knockoffs in the market, and with my research, I am beginning to doubt myself that the senko still has the top spot.

Here are the following knockoffs that I have tried and my experience with them:

BPS Stik-O: I have seen and read hundreds of rave reviews on this bait and bough a stockpile of it on sale. It’s the best knockoff I have tried out of all of the knockoffs that I have personally tried out, but still isn’t anywhere as good as senko in my opinion. It does have a slight wiggle, but it falls diagonally nose first when Texas rigged and not horizontally like the senko. It also doesn’t sink as well as senko making it difficult to know whether the bait is sinking or has sunk to the bottom on a slack line. I suspect this is because it isn’t as densely packed with salt. To that point, the plastic feels a lot more rubbery and not as supple as a senko. I haven’t given this bait a fair shake yet as I’ve only fished it once recently, so I haven’t caught a fish on it yet but don’t doubt it will. Nonetheless, I have far less confidence in it than a senko.

Yum Dinger: It doesn’t have much action and has a slow sink rate, but I’ve caught fish on it.

Wave Worm Tiki Stick: I used to use this stickbait a long time ago. I have no recollection of the action, but I did catch fish on it.

Strike King KVD Perfect Plastics Shim E Stick: Same as the Tiki Stick. I used to use this stickbait a long time ago. I have no recollection of the action, but I did catch fish on it.

Big Bites Bait Trick Stick
: I tried this bait once before. It’s thinner than a senko. I recall seeing that it had no wobble on the fall, and the descent rate was really slow.

Now.. does the original senko catch more fish than any other knockoff? Does the action of the original senko’s perfect shimmy, wiggle, wobble, undulation, magic, whatever you want to call it, catch more fish? For the longest time, I truly believed that you will catch more fish on the original senko over any other knockoffs, but at the same time, I’ve read John E. Phillips books where one of the pros he interviewed said that bass are opportunistic feeders and eat just about anything in front of them when hungry, so it’s hard for me to say.

Anyways, there isn’t a video in existence that compares all of the knockoffs with a senko. There isn’t a scientific study done to compare the catch rates on the original senko versus knockoffs. All of the forum posts comparing knockoffs on these boards are completely outdated, so I would really like to hear your guys’ experience with the senko and senko knockoffs. Are there knockoffs now where you truly believe it out performs the senko? If so, why? What characteristics do they have that make you believe it’s better than the original senko?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is the Senko Still King in 2020?

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:32 pm

The Pond King wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am
Anyways, there isn’t a video in existence that compares all of the knockoffs with a senko. There isn’t a scientific study done to compare the catch rates on the original senko versus knockoffs. All of the forum posts comparing knockoffs on these boards are completely outdated, so I would really like to hear your guys’ experience with the senko and senko knockoffs. Are there knockoffs now where you truly believe it out performs the senko? If so, why? What characteristics do they have that make you believe it’s better than the original senko?
TB did an underwater comparison last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiWmOJhWXc

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:36 pm

And then this other comparison video showed up in the recommended videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6DiDeaseA

Edit: I ordered some BioSpawn ExoSticks based on this video. Summer is coming :)

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:37 am

I got some of the RI pocket rockets over winter to try this year.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:11 pm

My favorite other than a senko is the wave worms bamboo stick, they are thicker and fall slower. I do want to try the pocket rockets.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Zoom Z-Nail is much better than the senko but they aren’t produced anymore. I have a stash that is dwindling. I wish they would bring those back. Zoom has a new senko style bait out but the ZN was great with a unique shape.

I’ve tried ToP shelf worms and they are like hotdogs
They are not worth it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:32 pm
The Pond King wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am
TB did an underwater comparison last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHiWmOJhWXc
The Senko is still king for me. The performance is well worth the price--I don't think that 70 cents or so per bait is a big deal and I usually just by some bags when someone is having a holiday sale to save a few more buck. I usually get 3 to 4 fish out of a senko. If the head starts to fray, I just rig it again coming out the other side and catch a few more. If the senko is really torn up after a fish, I cut it in half and use it on a Gary's Rig and it works just fine.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Much like ELVIS the senko was is and always will be THE KING

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Put away those stick baits, and grab a finesse worm!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:21 am

What do you use them for? I like me some finesse and/or trick worms as much as the next guy, but I fish them on a shaky head, dropshot etc. Maybe wacky or neko. For t-rigging, a stick bait sounds like the better option.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:21 am
What do you use them for? I like me some finesse and/or trick worms as much as the next guy, but I fish them on a shaky head, dropshot etc. Maybe wacky or neko. For t-rigging, a stick bait sounds like the better option.
I fish them for all you mentioned. If I start tossing a Texas rig, I generally move away from a worm. Don't do it often, usually chasing smallies - Neko and Wacky primarily.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 am

I tried some of the ones you mentioned and some do have good action, but then they lack in other departments. Such as the castability and salt content along with a slow fall with the Keitech. Its really hard to nail all the different aspects that made the Senko so great.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed May 06, 2020 7:19 pm

The BioSpawn ExoSticks have worked out well for me. I like that I can adapt them to conditions (turning around the ribs on a t-rig adds more water displacement). Lighter than a senko and no salt, but great action and they've worked well in pressured areas where I want to look a bit different.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:19 am

I unfortunately used my last znail this weekend, the reaction innovation pocket rockets looked pretty good this weekend as well but I never caught anything with them.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:39 pm

I like the yum dinger a little better. It has a slower rof, and that seems to catch more fish, for me, at least.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.