Oh you Senko/stickbait users.. LOL

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Oh you Senko/stickbait users.. LOL

Post by JerryC » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 am

Dont take me too seriously, but im must poke fun at you Senko/stickbait users..\

So i played hooky from work yesterday with my boy and we spend 2 hours on a friends lake..

Most of my reels are apart being painted or tuned so i had to use my trust Stradic MGFB & St Croix spinning set up.
My 2 boys were using senkos 90% of the time.. I stuck to my small jig/creature craw finesse set up. I stuck the first fish around 2.5lbs (my first fish of 2011).. it took another hour before my buddy bryan using a senk stuck another good one at 2.10lbs.. Nick on the otherhand got the shaft (Sorry Nick!) lol..

I dunno about you guys, but i feel like ok, a senko is a great lure guaranteed to catch you fish.. but what fun is it to fish a senko?! Not fun at all i feel, hence why i stuck with my jig..

So what im saying to all you stick bait go to users out there, try something different & put the fun back into fishing!

:whistle: Im just sayinnnnnnnn
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Oh you Senko/stickbait users.. LOL

Post by cst » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:03 am

JerryC wrote:Dont take me too seriously, but im must poke fun at you Senko/stickbait users..\

So i played hooky from work yesterday with my boy and we spend 2 hours on a friends lake..

Most of my reels are apart being painted or tuned so i had to use my trust Stradic MGFB & St Croix spinning set up.
My 2 boys were using senkos 90% of the time.. I stuck to my small jig/creature craw finesse set up. I stuck the first fish around 2.5lbs (my first fish of 2011).. it took another hour before my buddy bryan using a senk stuck another good one at 2.10lbs.. Nick on the otherhand got the shaft (Sorry Nick!) lol..

I dunno about you guys, but i feel like ok, a senko is a great lure guaranteed to catch you fish.. but what fun is it to fish a senko?! Not fun at all i feel, hence why i stuck with my jig..

So what im saying to all you stick bait go to users out there, try something different & put the fun back into fishing!

Go To Senko users are still better than the Dropshot Only crowd. :D

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:32 am

cst wrote:
JerryC wrote:Dont take me too seriously, but im must poke fun at you Senko/stickbait users..\

Go To Senko users are still better than the Dropshot Only crowd. :D
Good one... i have to admit though, atleast with a drop shot rig, u need to know how to tie it correctly to be most effective... takes a bit more skill.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 am

i kind of agree w/ jerry, if you're skilled enough you don't neeed to fish stenko's all day long, but for those that aren't a good day of CATCHING is better than any day of FISHING. :D

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:20 pm

I have never caught a fish on a senko....i have no idea why they are almost everyones "go to bait"...maybe I am just not patient enough for senkos..I hardly ever use them cause I think its boring...maybe im doin somthing wrong? although I dont really think you can mess up fishin a worm lol
stress-what happens between fishing trips

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:50 am

I´ve got a big bunch of senkos and seldomly touch them.

How much does it take you to go through a bag of senkos ?

6 years ago I purchased a small truckload and separated for use the following:

1 4" firetiger
1 4" black/blue flake
1 4" watermelon/chartreuse laminate
1 4" watermelon/pearl laminate
1 4" red shad
1 4" watermelon red flake

It´s been 6 years and I stil have half a pack of each :whistle: , BTW, I also have 5 & 6 inchers "in use" and I still have about 2/3 of a pack of each. 8-[

Needles to say that I have boxes full of packs of untouched senkos

Now don´t ask me how many packs of trickworms I´ve been through in those same 6 years, don´t know exactly how many but it´s been a bunch. ;)

Casca
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Casca » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I have never caught a fish on a senko
Wow, I've never heard that one before. It could be your not patient enough to fish senkos or maybe you could try a different approach. I used to fish senkos a lot,with success too. Then I began to use them all the time in all situations,with a lot less success. Here's what I do now. I fish the bigger senkos,6" & 7". I fish them in 5 feet of water or less,and I fish them at specific targets. Stumps,bushes,corners of a dock etc.etc. The bigger baits fall quicker but still have that senko shimmy.Find a target,let's say a dock,throw it,let it fall,it won't take long,then pick it up and throw it at the other side of the dock. No fish,next target.Shallow targets are key.Senko fishing can be slow and dull but it doesn't have to be THAT slow and dull. My 2 cents.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 am

im not hating on senkos what so ever.. i just think these fisherman out there need to open there minds on using different lures, techniques ect.. cant rely on a senko all the time.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:15 am

Casca wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:I have never caught a fish on a senko
Wow, I've never heard that one before. It could be your not patient enough to fish senkos or maybe you could try a different approach. I used to fish senkos a lot,with success too. Then I began to use them all the time in all situations,with a lot less success. Here's what I do now. I fish the bigger senkos,6" & 7". I fish them in 5 feet of water or less,and I fish them at specific targets. Stumps,bushes,corners of a dock etc.etc. The bigger baits fall quicker but still have that senko shimmy.Find a target,let's say a dock,throw it,let it fall,it won't take long,then pick it up and throw it at the other side of the dock. No fish,next target.Shallow targets are key.Senko fishing can be slow and dull but it doesn't have to be THAT slow and dull. My 2 cents.

yah good advice, problem is not many targets around if you fish from the bank...i just graduated college and dont have money or a boat lol :cry:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:04 am

Funny this topic popped up.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. Every time i have a friend on the boat, that's all see the use. Fish 20' of water and they put a 1/4 or 3/8 flick shake head and fish it deep. ](*,)

I'm not hating, but i'm with Jerry. Get out and explore other techniques.

I do have to confess, i use the senko to kill a skunk every now and then. :-$ :lol:

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:41 pm

In my opinion, senkos have been an "equalizer bait". It may not be too hard to fish, but all it does is catch. When I fish with my buddy at the delta, I normally don't start with a senko. I'll throw anything but a senko. But my buddy outfishes me all the time from the back of the boat. He's a good fisherman and can fish other techniques, but when you get out infrequently as we do, you want to get bit and thats what happens when you throw senkos. One reason I dont use senkos as much is that they do not last long (if texas rigged) worst day was three packs in about five hours

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 am

This is a funny topic. There's a river about 15-20 minute drive from my house that I'll go down to once in a while to fish when I really have that itch. The only thing that consistently catches fish for me out at this river is a Senko and a Texas rigged Roboworm with a 1/4 oz. Tungsten bullet weight. I've thrown jigs, cranks, creature baits, Flick Shakes, and dropshots...but the only darn thing that'll catch a fish is the Senko or a Roboworm. So basically when I go down to the river; depending on the weather, I'll throw a Senko the whole time or a Texas rigged Roboworm.

When I'm fishing the CA Delta off a friend's boat, this is when I start throwing everything else. My friend's fish pretty fast so it gets tough to throw a Senko because you're on the move. There really isn't too much time to let that Senko fall down unless we're fishing docks. When we start fishing docks then I'll throw the Senko, and I'll also use it as a follow up bait too when you get a short strike.

I dunno...for me...if I'm limited on the amount of time that I can fish, I'm going to throw whatever has the higher percentage of catching something. I'm out there to catch fish damnit! Not a cold or heatstroke! :lol: :lol:

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:49 am

I dont fish them very often. If I need a quick limit I will fish them but I really just got back into them this year. When I fished my classic thats what they wanted a stick bait when dead sticking them. I couldnt buy a fish on a jig so I throw it and caught fish. I rather try and learn something then just catch fish even though I like to catch fish :P

urbnimports
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by urbnimports » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:45 am

i started off fishing a rapala clackin minnow size 11 in perch...3rd cast..big gust of wind...now its a Christmas tree ornament...next i tied on a jig...nothing... and to try to at least make something out of nothing was a senko, but i got the skunk! i plan on making up for it this weekend when i go out and land a 5lber while jerry is cleaning the wheels on his new jeep that won't ever get dirty lol...ill make sure to send him pics
www.neaafishing.com
http://forum.neaafishing.com

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

urbnimports wrote:i started off fishing a rapala clackin minnow size 11 in perch...3rd cast..big gust of wind...now its a Christmas tree ornament...next i tied on a jig...nothing... and to try to at least make something out of nothing was a senko, but i got the skunk! i plan on making up for it this weekend when i go out and land a 5lber while jerry is cleaning the wheels on his new jeep that won't ever get dirty lol...ill make sure to send him pics
christmas tree ornament lol.. you sure have a lot in your tackle box bro LOL
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures