3:16 No Bull Frog

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

3:16 No Bull Frog

Post by SC Bassin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 am

I ask this question a few years ago. I don't see any talk about it & I am wondering if any one uses it besides myself. If you do I would like to know what you think of it .
I use mine often thinking it would be a big bass bait but I have caught them from 12" to over 10lb on it, even caught catfish, mudfish, jackfish, & hooked small gators(4' or less). Keep Mend-it with you.
My equipment I use with these frogs is: a 7or 7 1/2 m/f heavy custom rod(I use both) built on Shikari blanks. Reels on each are Shimano Calais DC spooled with 30lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid. I am not a fan of braid & this works for me.
I also use a Boze Sumo frog & I find I do catch a lot more bass in the 1 to 2 lb range. Another plus is only the smaller gators chase it(1 to 2 ft).

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 3:16 No Bull Frog

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 pm

I picked-up quite a few last year, but my body still isn't letting me chuck anything too heavy. They look like a killer pike/ski bait.

zmanlane
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zmanlane » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:39 am

Nice acion but tears very easily.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 am

zmanlane wrote:Nice acion but tears very easily.

The 316 frogs are probably the best on the market in my opinion. The plastic seems to be some of the very toughest I've run across and I love my plastics. They tear like most but you can protect them from that damage by reinforcing the leg joints with a couple coats of the 316 plastic glue. They'll add several fish to the life expectancy. Rebuid the legs carefully after every use and you'll be surprised at how long they'll last.

Good luck.

Tim

SC Bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SC Bassin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks for that tip Tim I am going to start the rebuild before I start each day & after each fish. There is usually no repairing after hooking a catfish, mudfish, or jackfish they flat tear up about any bait they hit. They gator I stuck was in the front leg & I did not get the frog back. When the smaller ones chase it (1 to 2 ft) you can keep it away from them with speed & change direction but that is hard on the frog.

october
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by october » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:52 pm

i wanna know why frogs are so friggin expensive. its like 6 bucks a pop for a decent one!

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 am

october wrote:i wanna know why frogs are so friggin expensive. its like 6 bucks a pop for a decent one!
Be careful complaining about prices... The dark lord tends to break out Econ100 supply and demand models. The UC system at it's finest! O:)

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:20 am

SC Bassin wrote:...Shimano Calais DC spooled with 30lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid. I am not a fan of braid & this works for me.
Wow bro, I can't imagine what 30# hybrid even looks like coming off a spool :shock: :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:19 am

I finally go to take mine out today and give them a try and WOW, what a versatile bait. You can pop it, walk it, or crawl it and the legs and action look great. I may have a new favorite.