tungsten suggestions

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
blaablaablaa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

tungsten suggestions

Post by blaablaablaa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:28 am

Hi guys, I have been looking around for a bit now, trying to find a brand of tungsten bullet weights that don't break the bank. There seem to be a lot of new brands coming to market but all priced about the same. I was wondering if any of you have a brand that you have found good value in. I would like to find one that is priced under $1 each for 1/4oz weight. I hate breaking off dollar bill in a rock pile.
Thanks for reading!
P.S. I am surprised there isn't a subforum for terminal gear under tackle.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: tungsten suggestions

Post by SPAZ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:01 pm

I bet you most of the newer sites that sell tungsten get it from the same manufacturer. Best advice I can give you is to go with the tungsten weights that are sleeveless because they are more sensitive.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Can't find weights for under $1.00 a peice but I have been using these "TD Tungsten Colored Insert Bullet Weights". I get them from tackle warehouse. They are a litte cheaper than most. 1/4 oz 4 pack $4.99. 1/8 oz and 3/16 oz 4 pack $3.99. 1/16 oz 5 pack $3.99. They have nice plastic inserts and the paint holds up well.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:17 pm

I've recently been buying from fish-strong.com. I think they're $7.95 for 7 in 1/4's but they did have a special for $7 on one site. So far I like them. I'm with SPAZ, I imagine most of these are from the same chinese factory.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm

SPAZ wrote:I bet you most of the newer sites that sell tungsten get it from the same manufacturer. Best advice I can give you is to go with the tungsten weights that are sleeveless because they are more sensitive.
I'm just starting to use tungsten for punching and not clear why some have an insert. Thought I read they are less likely to tear up braid but that could just be me confusing it with something else. Did notice the more expensive ones are usually sleeveless. Anyone know?

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 am

GARRIGA wrote:
SPAZ wrote:I bet you most of the newer sites that sell tungsten get it from the same manufacturer. Best advice I can give you is to go with the tungsten weights that are sleeveless because they are more sensitive.
I'm just starting to use tungsten for punching and not clear why some have an insert. Thought I read they are less likely to tear up braid but that could just be me confusing it with something else. Did notice the more expensive ones are usually sleeveless. Anyone know?
Apparently the process to smooth out the tungsten weights was a very difficult one and that's why for the longest time the tru-tungsten weights were the only one you can buy without the sleeves. Because the first generation of the tungsten weights couldn't be smoothed out and were very rough and jagged they had to put the sleeves on. I guess it's a moot point now because they figured out the process which is nice considering tungsten weights can be had for a better price.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 am

SPAZ wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
Apparently the process to smooth out the tungsten weights was a very difficult one and that's why for the longest time the tru-tungsten weights were the only one you can buy without the sleeves. Because the first generation of the tungsten weights couldn't be smoothed out and were very rough and jagged they had to put the sleeves on. I guess it's a moot point now because they figured out the process which is nice considering tungsten weights can be had for a better price.
Thx

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:52 pm

-1/4oz, insert free, painted: $1.17 a piece. http://bassteamtackle.com/tungstenweights.aspx

-1/4oz, insert free, not painted: $1.10 a piece. http://www.dominatortungstenweights.com/page7/

-1/4oz, insert free, painted: $1.40 a piece. http://www.alleystungsten.com/Insert_Fr ... ights.html

I have not purchased from the first two, but have ordered from Alley's. Their customer service was very good: fast shipping, good communication, etc.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 pm

njbasscat wrote:Can't find weights for under $1.00 a peice but I have been using these "TD Tungsten Colored Insert Bullet Weights". I get them from tackle warehouse. They are a litte cheaper than most. 1/4 oz 4 pack $4.99. 1/8 oz and 3/16 oz 4 pack $3.99. 1/16 oz 5 pack $3.99. They have nice plastic inserts and the paint holds up well.
These weights also come without an insert for the same price. It never occured to me that the insert would affect the sensativity so I will buy some without and insert to compare. It sounds perfectly rational that an insert would deaden the sensativity.

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:37 am

I recently purchased tungsten weights from Bass Team Tackle. Like them.

Shipping costs are are reasonable for purchases of 0-20 dollars at $2.95. Also you order weights individually.