Preferred Shaky Head Worm? Is Floating Necessary?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Preferred Shaky Head Worm? Is Floating Necessary?

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

I heard from Roboworm. Turns out one of the posters here was correct in that the salt has to leech out before the worm floats.

Fred,

Our worms do in fact float. The first cast or two, the salt in the head of the worm holds the worm down, but the salt slowly leech's out of the worm causing it to rise and float. The 4.5" worm you tested is small, so you probably did not notice the tail floating and the head holding the worm down with the salt. Most hand pours do not contain salt so they will float easier. Our product is the best of both worlds. Salt in the bait for attraction and for the fish to hold on longer, and the salt release system causing the worm to be more buoyant than an all salt injected worm.

Thanks for your comments, and continued luck with our product.

Mark Taylor
Operations Manager
ROBOWORM INC.
764 Calle Plano
Camarillo, CA 93012

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:49 am

that makes no sense. So you have to lose the salty flavor, that is purported to be an attractant, in order for the worm to float? Why not buy a salty worm that actually floats from the first cast.

Check out the Squirrel Tail worm if you want a worm with a floating tail and taste from the first cast. One of the best shaky worms out there.

drmanhattan445
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by drmanhattan445 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Did they quit producing the Basstrix Locamotion worms? I have not seen them available anywhere.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:28 am

drmanhattan445 wrote:Did they quit producing the Basstrix Locamotion worms? I have not seen them available anywhere.
Tackle Warehouse is the only place I've found them and it is where I get them.
Barlow's Tackle

drmanhattan445
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by drmanhattan445 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 am

smalljaw wrote:
drmanhattan445 wrote:Did they quit producing the Basstrix Locamotion worms? I have not seen them available anywhere.
Thanks for the reply Smalljaw. I checked Tackle Warehouse before posting but they showed that pretty much everything was out. I didnt know if that meant they were out and not getting them back or that they didnt know when they would be getting a new supply. I will try shooting an email to TW and see what they saw. Thanks again!

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 pm

drmanhattan445 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
Thanks for the reply Smalljaw. I checked Tackle Warehouse before posting but they showed that pretty much everything was out. I didnt know if that meant they were out and not getting them back or that they didnt know when they would be getting a new supply. I will try shooting an email to TW and see what they saw. Thanks again!
Rather than a personal e-mail to TW, I suggest that you post an inquiry in the TW Message Board, under Products Wanted, or whatever the title is. That way, all of us and others can read the TW reply.

Thanks

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 am

An interesting topic. It been awhile since I posted my tests of Roboworms, so I am bumping so it gets more reads.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am

BlaineFred wrote:An interesting topic. It been awhile since I posted my tests of Roboworms, so I am bumping so it gets more reads.
I get the salt release system on roboworms. I've caught a lot of fish w/them--use the 4.5" on a drop shot quite a bit and the 6" fat has worked well on a shakey head for me. I also fish them texas rigged a lot.

A worm not mentioned is the Owner shaky worm, recently discontinued. It floats the tail up nicely and is nearly a perfect fit w/the awesome Owner Ultra head shaky head. I bought a bunch of the packs at like $2 or $3 per from TW as they were getting blown out.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:56 am

I loaded up on the Owner worms from TW.

With so many people claiming that Robo's float well, it's always made me curios because of the amount of salt used. Salt makes baits heavy and not float but so many people swear up and down about Robo's. I don't pour baits, but I think sale also allows for darker colors I believe. Robo has a nice mix of colors and the bottom of the worms are almost always the darker shade and that's where the salt content is usually. I would think the fat Robo's would float better.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am

I've always had luck using zoom trick worms, the tattle tail worm by gene lard works pretty nice as well.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:31 pm

This was a good post. I have been using Uptons worms this season, and they are pure floaters. Not very durable, but I know every time I use one it will float. For me it's a confidence thing, but I can see where a worm with less buoyancy could work at times where the floater does not.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:01 am

i say use nonfloaters when t-rigging and floaters when shakey heading

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:28 am

Zoom trick worms on a megastrike shakE2 head
Sometimes the elaztech version of a trick worm if I want it to float.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:40 am

This thread from two years ago presents excellent info on floating worms.

I see that there is more recent interest into floating worms so I’m bumping to get more attention.

One major point is my posting of the message that I received from Roboworm concerning the floating of their worms.