Anyone flip with big tubes?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Anyone flip with big tubes?

Post by smalljaw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 am

I was wondering is anybody uses big tubes to flip with because I did it last season a little bit and the results were pretty good but it is hard to find a tube that is longer than 4" without being to big. I'm looking at 5" tubes with a little bulkier body but not too extreme so if anyone knows where to look I would appreciate it.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone flip with big tubes?

Post by steve1206 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:06 am

I have some buddies here that like to pitch a BIG tube around in the fall, especially during our "Big Bass Bash" tourney, fishing for 1 bite...These are big and fat and 5"-6". All I have seen are very "fat" as the maunfacturers goal is showing a large profile, not just a longer bait. 2 keys are a Monster/wide gap hook and braid...but I believe you will still be cursed at some point with the issue all t-rigged tubes can have...lost fish.

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 am

PTL Food Chain Tube.

https://www.powerteamlures.com/ProductD ... tCode=TUB4

The 4.5" is awesome flippin tube. It has a 1/2" solid head so you can texas rig weedless.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:17 am

I've been flippin Hudd 68s so I don't think there's such a thing as too big a tube so long as there's a hook gap wide enough to fit it. I'm now looking for cost effective replacement for the Hudds and hoping I find a large enough tube as well. Was going to see about saltwater offerings and looking for 6-8" long with some thickness to them. Will most likely use the appropriate unweighted Owner Beast Hooks. Those things are very large gapped for their size.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks all but I found exatly what I was looking for. River Rock Baits can make me a custom 5" triple dipped tube that is soft which is what I was trying to find. I don't like the solid head on flipping tubes because it limits the way I use them and one way I like to fish them is with a heavy insider weight that looks like the EZ tube weight in which I have to run the hook point through a hole and then the hook holds the weight. The solid head makes that rig impossible as it doesn't allow the hook to line up correctly with the weight. The whole reason I like doing this is last season a buddy and me were flipping sweet beavers and brush hogs to holes in grass beds, we fish these every summer and we get good fish, when the water has some color a jig is killer but when the water is clear we need soft plastic. Anyway, we were flipping and not getting bit, so I was going to put on an 8" worm when one of my 4" ribbed tubes fell out of the binder so I rigged it up and the rest is history, I got 7 fish, the best 5 would have went 14lbs which was great for the lake we fished plus it was the middle of July, the biggest was a 4lb 7oz. fish that crushed the tube. My buddy got 1 on the brush hog as he refused to believe it was the tube so now I'm on the hunt to use a bigger bulkier tube to see if I can't get on some even bigger fish!

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm

In case you want to try others for comparison, I recommend the Reaction Innovations Boom Boom Tube: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Reaction ... -RIDT.html

It's a 5" tube but it's not too bulky; it's very soft (yet not too thin walled like Zoom tubes which tear right down the middle on the hook set). The Boom Boom is my #1 tube for big smallies and LM on the Great Lakes, and I've been through many brands over the years. Strike King Flipping Tubes are 4.5" and are good for a bulkier option.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:46 pm

A flipping tube still my number 1 bait for puntching weed and the one i use mostly are the strike king denny brauer flipping tube which are 4.5" long, very durable bait and i use it on a 4/0 gamakatsu superline hooks. :whistle: