Anise Oil and Salt on Plastics--Dislike

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anise Oil and Salt on Plastics--Dislike

Post by bob75 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:45 am

After washing some Net Bait Paca craws to get rid of the Anise oil (?) and external salt on some plastics I decided to make this post.

I see no benefit of oil or salt. I've been washing soft plastics ever since they started that trend as I don't like to get oil or salt on my hands and then everything else I touch in the boat. Yes I've got a towel.

So, I feel better now after complaining. Do others feel the same or am I an outlier?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anise Oil and Salt on Plastics--Dislike

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:01 am

Plastic worms or creatures, especially ones made with high quality plastic tend to stick together and will defor pretty easily without the worm oil. I don't like the external salt either but it serves the same purpose, and that is to keep the aits for sticking together so I'm ok with it but I do agree that it kind of gets irritating when you rig up before leaving and you have to wash your hands as salt and oil are now all over your fingers and you haven't even fished yet.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:39 am

External salt on baits is a big selling feature. I read an article a few years ago that said visibly salted baits outsold baits without salt by a wide margin.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 pm

I always wondered about the visible salt, seems useless to me as it will dissolve as soon as the bait hits the water. I don't mind getting the salt or residue on my hands, that's not nearly as messy as bass slime. And if I ain't getting slimed, I'm having a bad day. :D

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:44 pm

I wouldn't mind them so much had they come in a bag that doesn't leak.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:47 am

I remember reading somewhere the external salt is used as a packaging aid to prevent the baits from clinging to the plastic bag while filling it. Someone than put a marketing spin to it and here we are.

Personally, I see no benefit to scent of any kind. I don't care if it's on there or not, but I think it's more to catch the fisherman than the fish. I don't even care if I get bug spray or sunscreen on my hands/baits, makes no difference to my catch ratio IMO.

Oil/ paste type scents can be beneficial on plastics fished in heavy vegetation - it will help keep tails and appendages from clinging to plant stem and leaves.

Funny how we apply our human sense of what tastes/smells good or offensive and think fish perceive it the same way :lol:
I don't think there is garlic or anise flavored anything in the underwater world.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:24 am

uljersey wrote:I don't think there is garlic or anise flavored anything in the underwater world.
I don't know. I've had garlic flavored crawdads before. :strface:

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:27 am

Oil based scents are useless since oil doesn't dissolve in water. Bass won't care about anise or garlic because they are rigged to smell meat.
They can't taste salt either but salt is used to make baits denser and softer.
And I agree some manufacturer put way too much oil in the bags to the point where rigging becomes difficult due to bait slipping away.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 am

Tokugawa wrote:
uljersey wrote:I don't think there is garlic or anise flavored anything in the underwater world.
I don't know. I've had garlic flavored crawdads before. :strface:
Now you went and did it. I haven't had crawdads in years. Now I won't rest until I have a huge pile of empty shells in front of me. It's not easy to get quality 'dads in New Jersey thank you very much :laugh1:

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:13 am

I dont mind the oil as much as the external salt. I like to rig up before i hit the water and i have to wash the bait in the sink so i dont get it all over my rod and reel. I think that sent is most important on plastics that are sitting still or moving slowly. Spraying a crankbait is a waste IMO. Some people swear buy it, but those same people most likely fork out for the fish noise maker.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 am

I hate that Anise smell I stopped using Wave Tiki Bamboo sticks because of it
I bought bag of Hard Nose jelly worms man the bag was full of oil I soaked them in water and then rinsed them out nice worm bad oil feel same for the Sasuteki Crawl bag was drenched with oil.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:56 am

If you don't like the Anise smell rinse them off and add a little bacon grease. It works just as well and will remind you of breakfast!
One thing is grease will spoil over time so just a bit will do it.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:53 am

I too despise external salt and avoid baits loaded with it. I like just enough oil in the bags to keep everything from sticking. I tried Smelly Jelly once to see if it helped the plastics slip through the pads/weeds better but I could never tell a difference.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 am

I have some worms soaked in Anise oil from the early 70s and they are in excellent shape. It seems to keep worms soft indefinitely.

Frank

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 am

I love the smell of Net Baits. I'm going to get slimy anyways because I catch fish, who cares if I get a little anise on me? I always have a hand towel to wipe off on.