Anyone rig like this?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone rig like this?

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:09 am

Found this rather interesting:
Swimbait with a stinger.jpg
Swimbait with a stinger.jpg (9.82 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
Apparently you slip the treble over the main hook shank and then pinch the treble eye just enough so it can't easily slip back over the barb.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone rig like this?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:31 am

Oh yeah, fish this rig all the time with a super fluke or caffeine shad for trout and reds that are not eating it very good.Seems to hook the short strikes I usually would miss with just a bare or weighted hook. i usually will slide a bobber stop on the hook after the treble is on there and then insert one point up into the bait.Never had problems with it coming off.Doesnt work so well around grass though.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:53 am

Swimbait yes...C-rig in the pic?? No

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 am

No. It looks like it kinda defeat the weedless purpose.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 am

I've used that rig when using 6" fluke style baits, the fish were hitting them but for some reason they would hit head first so you either used a long shank worm hook or an EWG style hook and tie a short leader to it with the treble on the other end, it works but it does defeat the weedless rigging.

sac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sac » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 am

That's very interesting....I guess I've never really thought about swimbait short strikes. I like the idea, just don't like the going against the whole weedless thing

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 am

This kind of rig is used for short bites with Reins RVS (usually 4'' or 5'') specially on pikes. But the one on the pic looks poorly done to me: texas hook and treble way to big or/and swimbait too small.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Adding the treble trailer will also allow you to reel hollow belly and split belly swimbaits faster a lot faster.
Edwin Evers gave this tip. Works like a charm.

NOTE - Edwin adds a piece of surgical tubing over the eye and puts 1 point of the treble in the bait.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 am

ppFishing wrote:No. It looks like it kinda defeat the weedless purpose.

X2

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 am

steve1206 wrote:Swimbait yes...C-rig in the pic?? No

+1, This arrangement is great with larger swimbaits like the Hammer and Berkley's Powerbait Hollow Body swimbait with a much smaller stinger (#4-#6 usually does it) but that arrangement definitely brings 'em in. This works better with Beast size swimbait hooks with the top mounted stinger held under the first bend in the hook and the stinger held by one hook of the treble.

Jeb, there's no reason you can't use this arrangement as long as your bait floats above the bottom, or you can reverse the location of the hook so it rides on top. Regardless, with the right bait (my favorite is the Zoom Swimming Super Fluke) and a small finish nail weight in the nose, you can actually get a nice horizontal fall with a slight shimmy or, in some cases a nice forward glide.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lethal_W ... LPRSW.html

Give it a shot! :big grin:

Tim