Trokar hooks

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Trokar hooks

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 am

Trokar touts their triple cutting edge sharpening.
I remember when Owner came out with their cutting edge hooks. There was a big hue and cry about the hooks cutting too big a hole on the hookset.
How are Trokars that different?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Trokar hooks

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 am

Mark, Gamakatsu, Owner, and Trokar use cutting points which will tear holes in a fishes mouth depending on how and where the hook penetrated. I stopped using Gamakatsu spinnerbait hooks for that same reason and I would not use them on worms or jigs but I do like the Trokar hooks for big bulky creature baits and on treble hooks. The reason is the cutting points make getting through the thick plastic much easier and I find that I lose far more fish on creature baits because most of the hookset is to get the hook through the plastic therefore I don't get good penetration but the cutting points go right through the plastic and then fully penetrate the mouth, every now and again you will tear a hole, that is just how it is. On the treble hooks the points are so small that it usually isn't an issue and they help as fish normally hook themselves on the trebles but even tough they are small points there is a chance you can still tear a hole but again, more fish hooked up as the hooks are fully penetrating.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Trokar hooks

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:37 am

Makes sense.
I use light wire hooks a lot, because I fish rocky lakes with no timber or wood, and very thin weeds.
I throw the fat Ika a lot, and have been using the Mustad Megalite EWG #5 hooks. They are both thin and strong, and very sharp.
But I can't find them anymore. I think Mustad stopped making them, and I'm searching for a substitute with thin wire but a big bite, and the Z kind of offset to hold the Ika on better.
With the Mustad hook, I'm able to bring the hook right through the middle of the bait, the thickest part, and then Tex Pose the hook on the top. The bite is so deep, the hook pops right out and into the fish's mouth when they bite, and the fine wire hook is able to go right into the hardest parts.