Gamakatsu Heavy Cover Flippin Hook Problems

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Gamakatsu Heavy Cover Flippin Hook Problems

Post by bob75 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:22 am

Has anyone else become frustrated that Gamakatsu produced a hook that the hook keeper slides down the shaft on the hook set. I like these hooks for their wide gape for the length of the hook and also their strength. But the hook keeper sliding down the shaft has cost me some good fish.

I've added a spot of super glue to the "v" of the hook keeper but that does not solve the problem. I realize that my next step is to cut off the shrink wrap, rough up the shook shaft and tie on the hook keeper with braid and epoxy the area. What gripes me is that Gammy with their excellent reputation has produced a faulty hook.
Attachments
Heavy Cover Gammy.JPG
Heavy Cover Gammy.JPG (74.73 KiB) Viewed 7125 times

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Gamakatsu Heavy Cover Flippin Hook Problems

Post by smalljaw » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:41 am

I would forward that picture to Gamakatsu, you shouldn't have that happen on just a hook set and I have never saw that happen on any brand of heavy cover flippin hook.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 am

Had the same problem. The hook is great but the keeper is terrible. I switched to Paycheck hooks and also have used Trokars with good results. The Trokars have a huge keeper though and once you thread the hook it's hard not to destroy the plastic if you need to remove it for any reason like just changing baits to a different color/style.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 pm

yup same here

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:20 am

I took the suggestion to send a pic. Got a rapid response. Appears that perhaps that the wire wrapped around the hook then the heat shrink my not be the best option that Gammy has on the more recent manufactured hooks due to cost and/or solving the problem.

Here is the response I received.

Bob,

Thanks for your email. We are looking into getting this problem solved with a solid keeper. Help is on the way. Thanks again for your support and loyalty.

Gamakatsu USA

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:50 am

This was already supposedly addressed and solved a year or two ago.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 am

The Paycheck shrink tubing is on the thick side for me. It's not any better at not tearing apart your plastic than the Trokar.

A way to solve that sliding tubing would to add raised barbs on the front of the hook like all the other hooks that use the shrink tubing. The tubing catches onto the barbs which prevents it from sliding down the shank. Problem solved but Gammy has to be the one to add the barbs.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:The Paycheck shrink tubing is on the thick side for me. It's not any better at not tearing apart your plastic than the Trokar.

A way to solve that sliding tubing would to add raised barbs on the front of the hook like all the other hooks that use the shrink tubing. The tubing catches onto the barbs which prevents it from sliding down the shank. Problem solved but Gammy has to be the one to add the barbs.
there is definitely an art to getting the shrink tube right. I don't put too much flair in it, and I take the time to shave the blunt edge on the bottom to aid in sliding the hook over it. as I like to tie the hook on, THEN apply the shrink wrap, this can prove challenging on windy, wavy days.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Had same problems and super glue didnt help. Anyone use the new mustard sure grip hooks that have the metal hook keeper? Those look solid

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00 am

Here is what I do to DIY a hook keeper

- Straight shank hook
- Some soldering lead (used in Electronic kits)
- Heat Gun
- Shrink wrap tubing
- stainless steel wire (base size close to hook wire gauge)

-Fashion the Steel wire to the desired keeper design you like.
-Position it on the hook and using the soldering lead, wrap it to the hook shank securely.
-Cut a piece of shrink wrap tubing to cover the wraps and with 1/2cm excess from the end wrap.
-Use the heat gun to let the shrink wrap nicely.
-Set the heat gun to high and apply enough heat to melt the lead inside the shrink wrap.
-You can either remove or keep the shrink wrap.
-This will give you a solid keeper and also add weight to your flipping hook.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:55 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsrn1sZA_Y
This is the best solution I've found, works like a charm.

rabidsquirrel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rabidsquirrel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 am

bob75 wrote:Has anyone else become frustrated that Gamakatsu produced a hook that the hook keeper slides down the shaft on the hook set. I like these hooks for their wide gape for the length of the hook and also their strength. But the hook keeper sliding down the shaft has cost me some good fish.

I've added a spot of super glue to the "v" of the hook keeper but that does not solve the problem. I realize that my next step is to cut off the shrink wrap, rough up the shook shaft and tie on the hook keeper with braid and epoxy the area. What gripes me is that Gammy with their excellent reputation has produced a faulty hook.
Another victim chiming in here... I've had it happen to me, and these hooks aren't exactly cheap. Live and learn, but I must say that I expected more from a Gamakatsu product. This is the first issue I've had with Gammy hooks... Hopefully it'll be the last.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 am

Iv had the same problem with the gammys. Im trying the mustad grip pin flipping hooks now and they seem to be doing very well.