Too many Plastics Weigh You Down

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
rbredefe
Angler
Angler

Too many Plastics Weigh You Down

Post by rbredefe » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:46 am

Does any one else feel that it is very easy to get carried away with having too many plastic baits and that having too many actually hinders your ability to stay organized and just fish?

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Too many Plastics Weigh You Down

Post by meach » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 am

seeing as this is TT too much really doesn't exist..lol, I know what you mean sometimes we get caught up having to have a lil of everything to increase our chances of catching fish...2 years ago i would carry everything under the sun with me..this year I have a worm bag that has a bag of finesse worms, stick worms, craws, tubes, and beavers..and one box of cranks, wakes, frogs..its always humbling to bring a friend along with who isnt a fishing enthusist outfish me with a split shot rig and worm while im busy changing baits...keeping it simple over the years has made fishing more enjoyable for my and my wallet... \:D/ but alot of those new baits from icast look mighty tempting...lol

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:50 am

This past winter I culled down to the bare minimum and it all fits into this 12.5" X 8" X 5.5" bag.

The only plastics I carry are tubes, flukes, 4" worms and small plastics for ultralight. Tubes and flukes can be rigged countless ways, so I'm not as limited as you may think. I carry a few other things as well, but you were talking plastics.

I know some will be horrified and wonder why would I limit my choices (the tackle gods are angry!!!) but this has worked very well for me. My catch rate has improved if anything, and now I concentrate better on my presentations. Probably too radical of an approach for most, but I needed to do it. I was changing baits way too much and second guessing myself. Fishing is fun again :D

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 am

I have a "pond pack" I carry with me when roaming the ponds local to me on foot. Consists of a few colors of senkos, beavers, skinny dippers, craws, and curly tail worms plus a small terminal box, a few jigs, a few frogs, a buzz bait and a spinnerbait. Covers most of my bases. In the boat, my plastics bag is all I have. It's confidence to know that if i feel like switching up color or presentation I have my full arsenal at my disposal. I've caught more fish since I started branching out and trying new techniques or a variation of one I currently use, even if it's color only.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 pm

I have an old Pflueger tackle bag that holds 4 Plano 3700 series boxes with 2 side compartments, I use 1 of the side compartments for plastics in a Tackle Logic Binder. I take the Pllueger bag when I head out but depending on the time of year or body of water it will have different stuff in it. At home I have my tackle arranged by season and then in a sub category of water type and I change out boxes if I was at a lake one day and then I'm heading to the river the next day I'll have different items. How I trimmed down what I take in plastics was to do it 2 ways, I either take 2 bags of 4 different styles of baits or I'll take 2 styles of baits with 3 or 4 different color combos, it depends on what kind of conditions I'm going to face weather wise. It was hard the first few trips as I would always think that I was going to need something that I left at home but it got easier as time went by and it actually improved my fishing as I'm not so quick to change colors or baits as often as I did when I carried a store full of plastics with me. For a lake I'll take 2 bags of Beavers, 12 in a bag 6 of a dark color and 6 of a lighter color and the second bag will be the same only a different size. The only plastic I take more than 2 bags of is Senkos, if there is a good Senko bite bite going early in the day, it is nothing to go through 3 bags. Good luck on trimming down, it will help for sure.

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't worry about it,can only fish one bait at a time. If anything when shore fishing I often don't think to change colors and styles of plastics enough.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:22 pm

My tackle bag weighs 50lbs. I wish I could go back in time and just buy what I actually use, such a waste of money. I only use 10% of it lol.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 pm

I bought a bunch off those clear Plano style boxes when they were on sale at Home Depot earlier this year and will be filling them with all the lures I have too many of and giving them to the fisherman in my family for Christmas.

DaveJ

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:02 am

masterbass wrote:My tackle bag weighs 50lbs. I wish I could go back in time and just buy what I actually use, such a waste of money. I only use 10% of it lol.
Very impressive that you can use 10%.

I used to bring everything also, but started scaling down and beginning to bring only the essentials. I bring a 3700 box filled with a one of 2 deep, med, and shallow divers, same with rip baits, a few lipless, and right now topwater lures. Also have a 3600 box filled witH terminal tackles. Then a bag of finesse worm, stick bait, and ribbon tailed worm.

Have a couple of buddies that are starting to fish, so I have been giving a lot of lures away.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 am

I spent the entire season fishing with baits I haven't used over the course of years and still have a bunch I haven't touched. Going into the fall season, I'll be using even more. Hopefully by the end of next season I'll be cleared out.

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 am

rbredefe wrote:Does any one else feel that it is very easy to get carried away with having too many plastic baits and that having too many actually hinders your ability to stay organized and just fish?
I know it hinders my boat's hole shot and top end performance :(