Crappie Plastics

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Crappie Plastics

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:45 pm

What are some must have plastics for Crappie?

Gonna go out next week, but I lack fishing gear for Crappie.

Will be using a bobber/float.

Thanks for any info.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Crappie Plastics

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:45 pm
What are some must have plastics for Crappie?

Gonna go out next week, but I lack fishing gear for Crappie.

Will be using a bobber/float.

Thanks for any info.
Bobby Garland Baby Shad. That is all I need. The swimming version with the little flat tail actually works better. When I panfish I use those long J shaped straight shank hooks, like a size 6 or 8 fits the 2" plastic perfect. I tie a double drop shot with a 1/8 weight and hover it down. Absolutely destroys crappie once you find a school. I will try and post a picture of the rig sometime.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm

I actually just ordered some of the Bobby Garland Baby Shad based off the reviews :big grin:

Would love to see your set-up.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:12 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm
I actually just ordered some of the Bobby Garland Baby Shad based off the reviews :big grin:

Would love to see your set-up.
I will get some up here. I do it one of two ways:

(1) 2 of the small aberdeen hooks, I will have to find the size for you, I run them though the plastic like a swimbait (exposed out of the back) and wipe a touch of super glue on the shank before sliding up. Then just tie a dropshot, leave a ton of tag end after running down through the eye, repeat, then add a dropshot weight.

(2) The newer way I have been double dropshotting: Run the first aberdeen/baby shad dropshot the same, but instead of a second hook AND weight, just add a 1/8 or 1/16 jighead with the plastic on it. This way you end up with a hooked plastic and jighead plastic only; it is more compact and less to hang up.

Instead of aberdeen hooks, I have also used really small Owner mosquito hooks, like #8 or so. You actually get great action from the plastic this way and Bream/Crappie still hook up well. I have actually caught smallmouth this way many times in the winter when the bite is turned off; just up sized with Roboworm Alive Shad or Keitech Shad Impact 3" lures and bigger hooks. It is my secret weapon at times and I consider it the umbrella rig of dropshotting.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Check out the lake fork baby shad. They have boot, ball and curly tail options.