ZMAN plastics

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ZMAN plastics

Post by tj1004 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:58 pm

i don’t know how to post pictures from my phone, keeps saying file is too large. I found a 3 pack of small waterproof planos that are about 2.5” x 4”. They’re small enough to fit inside my Plano 3440 box. I cut the zman TRD Crawz clamshell up and can fit 4 Crawz with clamshell inside one of these small boxes. Problem solved. I’ve never used more than 2 on any outing so having 4 works well, I can then slide them back in original package when I get home. Keep in mind this is only a kayaking/wading set up. Storaging zman while in the big boat is a non issue as they stay in original packaging.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Take a picture of the subject, and screenshot the picture itself, crop it to the picture you want to post (cut out any unnecessary background).

Try that.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:21 am

Plano and Versus boxes taco badly...
Hmm. I'm assuming by "taco badly" you mean they end up warping?

I just got an all new tackle set this year, with all of my tackle and plastics being stored in Plano 3500 boxes, including a bunch of Z-mans. I have noticed the lids on a couple of my boxes beginning to warp slightly, but haven't put much thought into it yet, having seen old warped Plano boxes in the past I just assumed it's a regular occurrence. I thought it may have just been due to them being my more frequently used boxes sitting in the sun more, and general variances in quality control that I've seen between the boxes.

How bad does it get? So far I haven't noticed any deformation of my Z-Man baits, no leeching of colors, and none have started sticking to the boxes, and some of them have been in there since late April. If the end result will eventually be totaled boxes and baits, I'm going to have to rethink my Z-Man storage...
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:48 pm

I've had Versus boxes so warped the edges won't close flat and they randomly pop open...

Plano boxes for me were just a waste of time. I'm finding that some "safe" will plastics are affecting the plastic of the box itself....

Can't win...

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Put the original bags in the new binder. Space for lead (over the initial version) and no zipper (they listened to me all around). It’s been with me over miles of rough terrain in all climates. Zero issues. I suspect a years worth of Z offerings to fit in the single version. (and I’m on the water a lot). I only swap out bags/profiles/colors for differing calendar periods. Yes I’m affiliated but it’s a great product and serves me as well as I could ask.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:07 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 pm
tj1004 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:05 pm
Thanks

I’ll probably just take my chances and give it a shot.
Just keep them in their original bags, keep them separate from regular plastisol baits, and you'll be fine.
Repeat.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:34 am

I've never stored them in anything but the original bags. It works well for me.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:11 pm

These plastics last so long when glued to jigheads that I just slip a few rigged with different head weights into a cellophane bag when I am fishing afoot and slide them into a pocket of a tackle bag. There is no effect on the cellophane bag.

Jaqa
Angler
Angler

Post by Jaqa » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:32 pm

I fish exclusively with ZMan as I bank & kayak fish mostly. One bait, one jighead and I can fish it until I lose it. When I am doing inshore fishing at our place near Charleston, I'll be there for 2 months at a time. I use one tackle box, a Plano 3600 with the many drain holes. All my sp's are rigged up as the jigheads only range from 1/8 to 3/8 with 3/16-1/4oz the most used.

I separate the whites (pearls, shads), brights (chartreuse, glow, nuked chicken etc), naturals(browns, greens, The Deal etc), darks (gold rush), and reds( calico candy, red shad, new penny). There is no bleeding across if I do this and I have not had any tackle box warping. After 2 months holiday & house maintainance, everything gets washed properly and separated back to the original packaging. Leaving Pro-Cure on the sp's can mean a nasty mold growing that gets into the material and impossible to remove. (The jigheads get a thoroughly washed and given a light coating of oil)

I also rinse the lures I use after a session, hang to dry and put right back in the box. I rarely have to throw away a rusted jighead, the exception if I use a sp with salt in it. Those can destroy a jighead in a week sometimes.

For traveling I use split ZMans across the clam shell packaging in the same order as above. So 3 packs of green pumpkin/ water melon type TRD Hogz becomes 2 each per pack, and I take one pack with me. The worst colors for bleeding are red shad and motor oil, even the packaging will bleed into other sp's.

Apologies for tmi! :)