ZOOM!

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZOOM!

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:03 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 am
I think We’ve been on the same quest
LowRange wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 am
I would think an L or ML powered BFS stick would be the ticket. Something with a rigid backbone and light tip.
I guess I should add the big qualifier, that I want to use 15-16lb fluoro. I fish them via lift-n-dip, so the line is too slack for braid. I used to use 12lb Invizx, which works fine from my yak but I lose too many from the bank. I also pitch them or make short, sub 50' casts a lot of the time.

So I am looking for a rod with a soft enough tip to fully load a 1/4oz weight on a pitch or very soft cast but the backbone to get a bass out of the pads if one does hit it 50' out. I want a rod around 6'6" as some of the spots I fish it take some bushwacking to get to and have poor bank access which makes longer rods a pain. I need a reel free enough/with a light enough spool to make the same casts/pitches but still forgiving enough that I am not fighting lose line all day, I make a ton of casts per hour with this presentation and my thumb will slip occasionally.

The yak version as been "solved", an old cr723 GLX w/ sv105 works great. The spool has the inductor from a sv103 spool on it which tames it down perfectly with 12lb Sniper. I can make soft side arm casts with ease and accuracy, and if a fish gets stuck I can just paddle over and get it.

The bank version is proving harder. The best rod I have found so far is a new model 783c GLX. It's got the perfect power and almost the perfect taper, but the tip is too stiff for easy pitching/soft casting with the heavier fluoro. For reels I started at the bottom with a Pixy w/ DIY spool. It hold very very little 16lb Sniper but enough to work. But the reel is very challenging to control and I need to use so much thumb that it's less fun then I want it to be. A Pixy w/ stock spool holds easily enough line but still isn't controlled enough with the rod not loading fully. Moving up, an Alphas SV w/ stock spool is better, but it's still wild on pitches or soft casts. A Steez SVTW w/ sv1012 spool showed a lot of promise, but I hated the way the reel felt on the rod, so it was out. The Steez SVTW on a PA 611m+ works a lot better, but the tip is still a bit too stiff and the rod is too long. The current reel I am working with on the 783c is a TDZ w/ ZPI PG spool. The control is good as is the casting distance, and the egros are good as well. I wanted a smaller/lighter reel though. If the tip on the 783c was just a little softer I think it and the TDZ would be about perfect. The TDZ is so good on that rod for everything else I use it for that it's going to stay on there I think.

If I gave up on "no braid" this would be a lot easier. A casting version of those MH solid tip "power finesse" spinning rods sounds ideal, like the ones in the Carbon Head and new P5 Destroyer lines.

GLX 803c and TDZ ?

Zoom is awesome.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 27, 2020 2:23 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm
GLX 803c and TDZ ?

Zoom is awesome.
I had thought of that, but never found a used one for cheap. I have a M/XF Avid that I use for popper/flukes and didn't like it for my Trickworm-dreams, but I don't like XF rods much as GP rods, which the ideal Trickworm rod will need to be. I will look into the XF 3power Loomis rods a bit more and see what I can find out.

Back to Zoom love, after the Trickworm, I think the Super Fluke is the other standout Zoom plastic. Despite weight about the same as the TW, it casts far far better and with a 3/0-4/0 medium wire hook, seems to have the perfect rate of fall. Where the TW is a cover-plastic for me, the Super only flirts with cover, being one of my favorite presentations to lure a bass out of the weedline and into open water. I usually start out with them fished fast on top, slowing down until I start getting bit. The heavier D-Shads and Caffeine Shads have their place when heavier line and tackle are needed, but the nimble little Zoom Super is what I always go for first. A Zoom Super and a Popmax are my goto "after work" lures when I am getting to the pond an hour before sunset and want to grind one out.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm

8" Magnum lizard in gourd green and green pumpkin/chartreuse. I've caught fish with them every way you can think....weightless, t-rigged, c-rigged, bubba shot, even wacky rigged. I've caught more 8lb+ fish on this bait than anything else I've ever used. The super fluke in baitfish and midnight chartreuse (discontinued) has also caught a ton of fish for me.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed May 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:23 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm
GLX 803c and TDZ ?

Zoom is awesome.
I had thought of that, but never found a used one for cheap. I have a M/XF Avid that I use for popper/flukes and didn't like it for my Trickworm-dreams, but I don't like XF rods much as GP rods, which the ideal Trickworm rod will need to be. I will look into the XF 3power Loomis rods a bit more and see what I can find out.

Back to Zoom love, after the Trickworm, I think the Super Fluke is the other standout Zoom plastic. Despite weight about the same as the TW, it casts far far better and with a 3/0-4/0 medium wire hook, seems to have the perfect rate of fall. Where the TW is a cover-plastic for me, the Super only flirts with cover, being one of my favorite presentations to lure a bass out of the weedline and into open water. I usually start out with them fished fast on top, slowing down until I start getting bit. The heavier D-Shads and Caffeine Shads have their place when heavier line and tackle are needed, but the nimble little Zoom Super is what I always go for first. A Zoom Super and a Popmax are my goto "after work" lures when I am getting to the pond an hour before sunset and want to grind one out.
I think the 803c is going to be a little too much rod for a trick worm, I usually fish a 3/8 oz jig on the 803C The 802C would probably be better. I have a IMX Pro 802C rod and love it.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 5:13 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm
8" Magnum lizard in gourd green and green pumpkin/chartreuse. I've caught fish with them every way you can think....weightless, t-rigged, c-rigged, bubba shot, even wacky rigged. I've caught more 8lb+ fish on this bait than anything else I've ever used. The super fluke in baitfish and midnight chartreuse (discontinued) has also caught a ton of fish for me.
Had to google the color. I need a few 8+ this year
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:13 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Had to google the color. I need a few 8+ this year
:lol: 8-)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 am

Oh man, I did not know the midnight chartreuse flukes have been discontinued. That was great color and one of my dirty water gotos.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:38 am

Houndfish wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:34 am
Oh man, I did not know the midnight chartreuse flukes have been discontinued. That was great color and one of my dirty water gotos.
I'm just finding this out as well. Only have a couple bags left.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Uv speedworm. Sungill

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Hard to beat the trickworms, I only bought 2 packs of znails in my life and I wish now I bought more. My set up for weightless trick worms is a stradic fl on a klx mh kayak special rod. I had a custom ml xf rod built but I miss way fewer fish on the mh. I like Zoom brushhogs too, especially in ponds when I don't want to break out the Yamamoto kreatures.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:11 am

So many great baits:
Super Speed Craw*
Speed Craw
Trick worm*
Super Chunk Jr*
Big Chunk
Fluke*
Z-Craw
Lizards*
Meathead-drop shots
Brush hogs

Didn't realize how many zoom baits I used until now.
* all time favorites

Craws and chunks: Green Pumpkin Purple and June Bug