Plastics Challenge

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Plastics Challenge

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:23 pm

The challenge is not to buy anymore plastics until I’ve depleted at least 50% of what I currently have. The problem is I’ve lacked discipline 😂 but after going through my boat and purging stuff out I said I would challenge myself to use that much tackle before buying more when the UPS guy made a stop to my house. I guess this experiment is a failure to begin with. But I’m going to take a stab at trying to utilize more of my plastics this fall.

I wondered how long is this going to take
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Plastics Challenge

Post by timinmo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:01 am

I wish you the very best. I have failed miserably at this test. What I find upsetting is half the time when I bring something home I find I have the same stuff already.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:45 am

timinmo wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:01 am
I wish you the very best. I have failed miserably at this test. What I find upsetting is half the time when I bring something home I find I have the same stuff already.
Bro you've got it bad but I've been there
Ive bought some stuff in bulk and have now just made boxes with those lures only. ie. missile baits box has all things I use from Missile baits. If I knew a kid or an adult who was just getting into fishing I would happily give some stuff away.. if i knew they would use it and it wouldn't goto waste.

Part of my issue is I found that I was collecting more plastics that I didnt think would be around after a while or some of the JDM plastics that are hard to get here..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Part of the problem is I work at a tackle store so I see all this cool stuff. This problem was going on before I worked there, so I don't thing I can blame it just on the store but it sure is enticing to see all the new/cool stuff. Like you I would give alot away if I thought it would get used.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:39 pm

Good luck. Every „restocking” order ends with more crap for me.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:52 am

I'm actually doing that for a while. I went through all my plastics and threw out everything I did not want to use and did not have real market value (those which had I sold off) and I only had plastics I actually wanted to use and believe in.

The problem I'm running into soon is that I tend to use a lot of paddle tail baits and my stock is definitely thinner than it was. On the other hand I have plenty of plastics which I do not use often, but I want and I still do not use them much (like dropshot baits). I'm not sure I will be able to force myself out of my comfort zone, but hope will be able to do.

Generally speaking I do not believe in having a huge stock of plastics at home. The market is changing quickly, there are plenty of new baits on the market every year and it makes me mad seeing all the great baits lying around unused. Maybe having a safety stock from your favorite bait is ok, but definitely not a huge amount.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 am

The 'rona killed my industry, I have been out of work since last March with no real sign of things getting better. Because of this I had to hit the brakes 100% on my tackle spending. I had always felt kinda bad about the huge piles of unopened "spare" tackle I had been hoarding up, but I am so happy old-me was a compulsive tackle-buyer, I think I have enough plastics/terminal tackle to last me a few more years. I will at some point to need to pick up some line or a specific size/style of hook, but for plastics I don't see myself running out of any general category any time soon.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 pm

^^^It does tend to accumulate, right? I'm in the same boat. I have unopened plastics that I bought over ten years ago. Guess I should fish more..... 8-[
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:02 pm

I've got tubs full of plastic baits all around the house in my closets. I still have rare baits from the 80's in bulk. I've even got a gallon bag of Slug-O's. I would go through close to a hundred fish a day on Clear Lake back fifteen years ago when the shad were so thick the water would have black clouds and your graph would black out. I would try to use up old plastics, but I still never made a dent. The manufacturers know that we are suckers! ](*,)

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 pm

I've been boxing things that I know I won't use, but don't want to part with. If I don't reach into these boxes for anything in the next year, i'm going to donate them to some youth organizations. I got way more crap than I will ever use.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.