Forward Facing Sonar and Co Anglers

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Forward Facing Sonar and Co Anglers

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:25 pm

Talk about two things that don't mix.

Anybody have experience being a co angler and your boater using FFS? How did that work out?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Forward Facing Sonar and Co Anglers

Post by Cracker » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:15 pm

I guess it is terrible to be in that position.
Even being a co-angler in old days was tough to catch.
After several tournaments I promised myself I will never fish as a co-angler again.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm

There’s probably a reason FFS both stands for “Forward Facing Sonar” and “For damn it’s Sake!”

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:34 am

Just the opposite for me. When using FFS, most of the fishing is done in open water with plenty of room to cast. There might be some fish in front but these fish move more in open water. The worst is going down a shoreline weedline and fishing from the back. You are always fishing ''used'' water.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:11 am

Aimlessly casting with nothing to cast at doesn't inspire confidence. If the boater isn't sharing info or guiding the co to make the right casts. It's not fun and with more and more guys going to it the feedback in some of our local clubs are that it's changing things for the better for boaters but hurting co-anglers

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:42 pm

Prior to FFS the worst a co-angler had to deal with was a Boater fishing for strictly bed fish. Could be stuck in one spot for an hour. But at least as a co-angler you could cast around the area and pick up fish that couldn't be seen. Had several co-anglers catch multiple fish while I was working on one. But with FFS Boaters are fishing single brush tops leaving the co-angler casting at many times barren bottom. I wouldn't want to be a co-angler in that situation. I have FFS and will use it, but not gonna shaft my co-angler by fishing a Me Only Brush Top pattern. I take pride in my co-anglers weighing in fish and cashing a check. I'm not a great fisherman, just like to have a good time and compete. Had some decent tournaments and had some not so decent tournaments. My co-angler is always gonna have ample opportunity to catch fish.