How many rods?

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Re: How many rods?

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:01 am

3- 5.
Keeping it simple is better on a kayak for me.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:07 am

6 on tournament days.

Single hook moving bait rod, swim jig/jig rod, frog rod, punching rod, all around treble bait rod, spinning rod for finesse.

I have rotated through most of them on some tournaments, but mainly use the single hook, frog, and punching rod. Never know what you may need.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:47 pm

I'm not an expert kayak angler, nor a tournament kayak angler, but I do enjoy it. I have now narrowed it down to 3 rods that cover the vast majority of what I do, and when I know I can get away with only two, that's all I prefer to have on hand.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:23 pm

Two. Less clutter, more productive.

Chasing Brown
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Chasing Brown » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:35 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:47 pm
I'm not an expert kayak angler, nor a tournament kayak angler, but I do enjoy it. I have now narrowed it down to 3 rods that cover the vast majority of what I do, and when I know I can get away with only two, that's all I prefer to have on hand.
Agreed. 2-3

I’m not tournament fishing either.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I am getting ready to get a fishing Kayak. I am facing the same dilemma right now. I will be honest I am a complete beginner when it comes to bass fishing. Not really sure what techniques I will like or what will work in my area. Currenty have a NRX 852s jwr and a megabass otomat. I picked them up last black friday because they were a stellar deal. Haven't even fished the 852s yet because I am worried it may not be versatile enough for a 3 rod combo. What 2-3 rods do you fish from your kayak? Any way you could help recommend a third rod to my arsenal or a potential replacement for the 852s?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I am getting ready to get a fishing Kayak. I am facing the same dilemma right now. I will be honest I am a complete beginner when it comes to bass fishing. Not really sure what techniques I will like or what will work in my area. Currenty have a NRX 852s jwr and a megabass otomat. I picked them up last black friday because they were a stellar deal. Haven't even fished the 852s yet because I am worried it may not be versatile enough for a 3 rod combo. What 2-3 rods do you fish from your kayak? Any way you could help recommend a third rod to my arsenal or a potential replacement for the 852s?
The two that I always take are the 21 Steez AGS 69M Universal Light and 69MH Target Sniper. Just with those two alone I can fish everything from a drop shot to a ribbit toad, shaky head to skipping a jig, jerk bait to buzz bait. The number of techniques I can cover with these two rods still impresses me every time.

I'll add a "third" if necessary depending on where I'm fishing, it's usually the Steez AGS 72H Power Pitch or rarely 74XH Heavy Cover Special if it's really nasty cover or I want to toss a little bigger swim bait. 9/10 times, the third is the 72H Power Pitch however which is another impressively versatile rod.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by TNBankFishing » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:29 am

I do fish tournaments pretty regular but my setup for “fun” fishing is a 7’medium Expride, Megabass Javelin, and Megabass Wild Bunch.

Firstoutfisher- You mentioned the otomat, which I also use for light to medium cranking and all things topwater. The 852s is an amazing “do it all” spinning rod. Don’t think because it’s labeled as this or that you can’t use it for a certain technique.

Full tourny setup is the Otomat, Jav, a Brailist, Wild Bunch, Expride, a 7’M casting legend x and MH legend x.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:35 pm

I have borrowed a kayak and fished a few times and I am excited to have just bought my own. I have taken 3 rods in the past, and I think I will carry 3-5 on my new rig. Obviously, versatility is key.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:41 pm

I guess i am the exception here. I bring usually as many rods as somewhat make sense in my PA14.

Minimum is 7 maximum is 11. I modified the Hobie H crate to carry 10 rods. The eleventh is in my hands ;-)