Kayaks & Fishfinder's

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kayaks & Fishfinder's

Post by Fastfish » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 am

I'm using a M68c currently but am looking at upgrading sometime this spring hopefully so I wanna hear what you all are using my M68c works gr8 but I just want something new some of the newest finder's show incredible detail and if ya go with a 5" screen you can have top of the line imaging and have it fit on a Kayak.

Fastfish

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Kayaks & Fishfinder's

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:06 am

I have been using the Humminbird 383C for the past two years. A local kayak angler was looking for a fish finder, and I ended up opening my mouth selling him mine, and all the mounting hardware, and installing it for him.

So now I'm in the market again. I'll probably stay with Humminbird and go with the 798ci HD SI, or the 788ci HD DI. I'm just not sure which one, still researching, but I do want the 5" display, and side imaging, or down imaging. I thought about Lowrance but with the features I want it wouldn't be feasable having to have two transducers. I must have something very protable that I can move from kayak to kayak within minutes, or just remove completely in minutes.

Jeremy
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

Chewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Chewy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm

I just purchased a Hobie Revo 13 and having a HB 597 ci hd di installed. I'll let you know how it goes.

MidTNKayakAngler- how are you mounting the transducer on the kayak for si? I thought about it, but after lots of consideration, I didn't want to hang it over the side (don't think si works through hull).

Cheers,

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Chewy,

I've had the same FF installed for a couple months. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Ninety percent of the time I use the DI/Switchfire split screen. Fish show up better with the Switchfire and you can see details of the structure with the DI.

If you plan on using the GPS for anything more than marking structure, I'd suggest you invest in one of the Navionic chips.

Jeremy,

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the 788ci HD DI and the 597ci HD DI is the 788's interlink ability to other units, which you wouldn't use in a kayak.

Fastfish,

I prefer making a small "well" from duct seal compound for my transducer. Fill it with water before you start out and you're good to go. This way you don't have to worry about the dreaded air bubbles.

Chewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Chewy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 am

Drewgill,

Thanks for the feedback on the unit. I've been shore fishing since I was a kid and excited as this is my first "boat" and electronics. Man, those Navionics chips are pricey :shock:

Do you have any experience with this unit in saltwater? I'll be using it in both fresh and salt.

Cheers,

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 am

Yeah, those chips are pricey. I found the one I needed for my area and bought one on eBay. If you do go this way, be aware that they offer a Platinum and a Premium version and make sure it not several years old.

I don't do much saltwater fishing here in Kentucky :P , but I would imagine the HB should do just fine.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:50 pm

MidTNKayakAngler wrote:I have been using the Humminbird 383C for the past two years. A local kayak angler was looking for a fish finder, and I ended up opening my mouth selling him mine, and all the mounting hardware, and installing it for him.

So now I'm in the market again. I'll probably stay with Humminbird and go with the 798ci HD SI, or the 788ci HD DI. I'm just not sure which one, still researching, but I do want the 5" display, and side imaging, or down imaging. I thought about Lowrance but with the features I want it wouldn't be feasable having to have two transducers. I must have something very protable that I can move from kayak to kayak within minutes, or just remove completely in minutes.

Jeremy
Jeremy, we really need to get together soon. Time for some night fishing :big grin:

Before you purchase a FF, especially if you're thinking DI, gimme a call first. I love they way my DI reads structure, but there are some downsides to it that were very noticeable when fishing alongside Ben, who has my exact model without down imaging..

I think my next big fishing investment is gonna be side imaging hopefully sometime this year.
Chewy wrote:I just purchased a Hobie Revo 13 and having a HB 597 ci hd di installed. I'll let you know how it goes.

MidTNKayakAngler- how are you mounting the transducer on the kayak for si? I thought about it, but after lots of consideration, I didn't want to hang it over the side (don't think si works through hull).

Cheers,
Check this out: http://madfroggear.com/liberator/liberator.html ;)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 pm

heck yeah dude! great link! ive been looking for somethin like this for awile. Gotta buy a fish finder now ](*,)
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Chewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Chewy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

l2yan,

Nice find on the "liberator"! Gonna have to check that out.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am

Chewy wrote:I just purchased a Hobie Revo 13 and having a HB 597 ci hd di installed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

You have a very nice kayak there, my wife has one it's a 2012 model in blue.

I'm using the Mad Frog Liberator and here is the last install I done. It's not my kayak, and was a fish finder until I sold it, and installed it on the guy's kayak that bought it off me. This pretty well says how I do it with pictures, for the next install I have a little different idea, but I have to find the unit that's best for me.

Link to my blog with my installation.
http://kbfunleashed.com/
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 am

l2yan wrote:Before you purchase a FF, especially if you're thinking DI, gimme a call first. I love they way my DI reads structure, but there are some downsides to it that were very noticeable when fishing alongside Ben, who has my exact model without down imaging..

I think my next big fishing investment is gonna be side imaging hopefully sometime this year.

I'm now looking at the Lowrance Units with the HDS GEN-2, the standard maps and display seems better than Humminbird. After this past weekend Sarah is now wanting a unit so she dosen't have to keep asking "how deep is the water now?"
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 am

Kinda torn now I want a new fishfinder but I really need more and better camera gear so not sure right now which way I'm gonna go with this it looks like camera gear is gonna win out on this kayak upgrade a Go-Pro Hero2 is gonna be mounted up on my yak as now they have a remote control systen so I can run it from my seat and have mounted in a spot where I can get good pic's and record video easily I might even be able to veiw it on my iPhone while the camera is running.

Fastfish

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 am

I'm in the same situation Fastfish,

Just bought 2 handguns, and accessories, need a fishing finder since I sold my Humminbird, and Go Pros are a must this year for shooting and fishing. I need more money, or less expensive hobbies.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:25 am

The cost of the hobbies seems to be the issue I too am having trouble increasing the usable money for them I've cut back on the number of hobbies also being realistic has kept things in some sort of reality have you the prices on mtn. bikes lately I love to ride but I won't be getting a new bike anytime soon fishing is my main hobby the Go-Pro's can be used on the bike as well so it looks like that'll be the 1st purchase then we will go for the fishfinder.

Fastfish

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:27 pm

I had good luck with the 385ci kayak kit. It is pricey. The shoot-through-the-hull kit is nice; I have noticed some drop off in resolution, but nbd.

I'd get the bigger screen if I was doing it again.