Tennessee Fishing

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tennessee Fishing

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 am

We have fished 8 days and 37 hrs so far this year. We have fished in snow, rain, and sleet. We have fished in 60 deg temps down to 32 deg, we have fished calm days to winds in the mid 20's. We have caught several different species from largemouth, smallmouth, hybrids, crappie, and skipjack. So far it's starting out to be a great year, and I'll be hitting the water again today after work to put me over 40hrs for the year. Last year we had around 800 hours on the water for the year, 2010 we just hit the 1000 hrs mark on the water. That's hard to do especially when we both average 60 hr weeks at our normal jobs and also shoot. It's great living in Tennessee we have so many great places to fish and a lot of different species also. We have been able to share our enjoyment of the water, fishing, and just being outdoors with friends, and family. This will be the 3rd year in a row that we have fished in the Florida saltwater from the kayaks. We hold annual liscenses in Tennessee with trout stamps, Alabama, Florida, and Indiana. We usually take weekend trips to Kentucky. We look forward to introducing more people to the great sport of kayak fishing.

The weather has been crazy with highs in the 50's then snow, sleet, ice and rain the next day then the day after back in the 60's. It's just been nuts. The past couple weeks we have fished Dale Hollow, a TWRA Lake, and the Cumberland river and have caught fish every outing besides this evening, but I'll try my best to make up for it tomorrow. The baits that have produced are jerkbaits, Rat-L-Traps, Big Hammers, Tiny Flukes on a Scrounger head, Bandit 200's in Spatterblack and shiners.

Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tennessee Fishing

Post by l2yan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Nice Jeremy! Glad to see you guys getting out and doing well. Can't wait to get back out with you!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:20 am

Come on out Ryan.

We may be fishing Dale Hollow, or the Caney or both this weekend. Next weekend is Camping and fishing in ALabama on the Cahaba River, the weekend after that is camping/fishing Reel Foot, then the weekend after that is a tournament in Georgia.

It's going to be a busy year.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Sounds like you guys are living the dream! I'll give you a shout when a weekend becomes available...
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

sarcastic
Angler
Angler

Post by sarcastic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I recognize the bass and the white bass. What is the fish with the forked tail? I only fish salt water here in San Diego.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 pm

sarcastic wrote:I recognize the bass and the white bass. What is the fish with the forked tail? I only fish salt water here in San Diego.

We call them the Tennessee Tarpon/Poor Mans Tarpon. They are commonly called Skipjack. They get up to 23" and put on great aerial displays. They resemble a Tarpon in many aspects, but on a much smaller scale. They are caught on small jigs, and flies with sinking lines. They are a lot of fund on 5wt fly rods and Ultra Lite Spinning gear.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm

hey, i live in nashville and have a kayak but haven't taken it out yet. Looking for someone to fish with and show me how to fish out of it.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm

I fished yesterday, and I'm fishing in the morning 10/15 from around 0630-1300 Old Hickory Lake out of Shutes Branch. Saturday I fished further up the lake and caught some white bass in the 14-15" range, one of my buddy's largemouth went just over 3lbs. There was a lot of bait activity the larger fish haven't come shallow yet, but it should be any day now.

This coming Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday there will be about 8 guys camping on the Duck River and fishing all weekend. I'll be out there Friday after work, and have to work Saturday. They are camping at Ms. Coopers primitive camp (524 Hopkins Bridge Road Unionville, Tn.) https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 8,0.013272

We have a very good network of anglers in the area, that target many species, and some of us fish all year long.

Jeremy

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 am

great pictures!!

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

awesome, i'll have to come out sometime . old hickory at bledsoe creek park had a lot of largemouth feeding, caught some shallow on square bills and spinnerbaits. keep me updated.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm

JerryC wrote:great pictures!!

Thanks Jerry
chrisjr1981 wrote:awesome, i'll have to come out sometime . old hickory at bledsoe creek park had a lot of largemouth feeding, caught some shallow on square bills and spinnerbaits. keep me updated.
I ended up fishing from 6am-11am. No feeding activity, marked most fish in 20' of water and were holding in the 15' range. They were tight lipped, caught one Yellow Bass on a 3" Berkley Swim Shad.