Decent fishing kayak? emotion spitfire 8

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
somedude
Angler
Angler

Decent fishing kayak? emotion spitfire 8

Post by somedude » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Im gonna buy this kayak this weekend. Brand new for $200. Im excited because this will be my first kayak. How do you guys think it will do as a fishing kayak? Im also taking suggestions on modding it out. I definitely need to put two rod holders on it. :-k

http://www.emotionkayaks.com/kayaks/spitfire8/

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Decent fishing kayak? emotion spitfire 8

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:51 am

8ft is a little small unless you plan on using it specifically in very small water where you need an extremely manuverable boat. IMO Fishing kayaks need to be a min of 11-12ft for small water and 14-16ft for larger water for more tracking and speed.

For $200 you could probably check your local craigslist and get a longer boat used and be a little happier...but if this is your only option by all means get it and welcome to the addiction. Once you hook into your first kayak fish you will be so pumped.

As far as rigging make yourself a little milkcrate to put in the tankwell in the back. Attach some cut PVC pipes to the crate for vertical rod storage and put your tackle boxes in the milkcrate. Also if your new to kayaking/kayak fishing wear a PFD at first until you get comfortable enough on the water.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:38 am

Although a good deal, 8 foot is too small for anyone. I would suggest a 10"+ kayak of any sort.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

jslager
Angler
Angler

Post by jslager » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 pm

I would save up and wait for something more suitable. Getting off the bank asap sounds nice but if you are serious about it you'll be wanting a bigger kayak VERY shortly after fishing out of that..