Need help deciding between two YAKS

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need help deciding between two YAKS

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 pm

So my brother got a Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12. I love it, I do, I do. He wants me to start coming with him. The retail on his yak is a bit more than the wife and budget allow. I have narrowed it down to two models and am looking for some feed back.
Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5 Propel
Hobie Mirage Outback
I'm leaning toward the Hobie only because it is 15 pounds lighter. Pros and Cons pretty please ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help deciding between two YAKS

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Forgot to mention. Two most important aspects - comfort & stability

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:39 am

I have an Outback and upgraded in the beginning of the year from a Hobie Sport. The Outback is the way to go here by far. You can stand on it as well which is a plus when fishing lakes. I've been a hobie owner for 4 years not and proud of it!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 am

What about the two different drive systems? Is one better than the other or more user friendly?

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:What about the two different drive systems? Is one better than the other or more user friendly?
I always see a guy at a local lake i fish who uses the Native. Its def cool and i believe it will allow you to go in reverse, but after talking to him it looks like hobie is the way to go. Not to mention my hobie beat his in a speed test (with the turbo fins) by a landslide!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

jslager
Angler
Angler

Post by jslager » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:14 pm

The propel drive does go in reverse and that is nice. However, It is always in the way under your kayak. If you are real skinny or in the grass/pads. With a mirage drive you can push one foot all the way forward and the fins tuck up against your hull.

I'd keep an eye out. there are going to be some good deals on the older PA14s, since Hobie just announced the 2013s are going to be redesigned like the 12s.

I own a 2011 PA14

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:30 am

Not trying to promote this other website by any means....but this topic has been discussed in depth here...maybe you should take a look:

http://www.yakangler.com/forum/25-answe ... opel-drive
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Not trying to promote this other website by any means....but this topic has been discussed in depth here...maybe you should take a look:

Okay, Hobie it is! Thank You for the link. One last question before I go. Are the turbo fins a good enough upgrade to justify the cost?

jslager
Angler
Angler

Post by jslager » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:Not trying to promote this other website by any means....but this topic has been discussed in depth here...maybe you should take a look:

Okay, Hobie it is! Thank You for the link. One last question before I go. Are the turbo fins a good enough upgrade to justify the cost?
The only reason they wouldn't be is if you are in < 16 inches of water constantly. The turbo fin is significantly faster but alot of the saltwater flats guys around here do not use them because they are in such skinny water 80% of the time.

MiniVan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MiniVan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. Just to build on what the other guys have said, its going to be the Hobie. We get this question almost every day at work. The ONLY advantage the Propel system has is the aforementioned ability for you to go in reverse. That being said, if you are in a big lake or in the ocean and really have the need the go backwards, you are probably in the wrong sport.

I have paddled all models of propel and mirage drive kayaks and the mirage drive system is more refined. Its very efficient and its design is ultra clever. With the ability to go skinny by sucking the fins up, the Im @#$@#% pissed off factor is greatly reduced because you do NOT have to take the drive system up like the Propel. The outback is a GREAT all around boat. We call it the utility boat of the Hobie line because it can handle the lakes, ponds, streams, and can also tackle the bays and even beyond the breakers for those chasing saltwater gamefish. Its built to handle a good amount of chop and is very stable for a 12' boat. The pro angler is a barge and the revolutions can't handle tough conditions as well as the outback. You will be getting A LOT of boat for a 12' boat.

Paddling the Revolution 13 with standard fins, we maxed out with an average of 5.5 mph. This is sprinting speed done using a number of people comprised of different body types, heights, weights, and strength. With the turbo fins installed using the same boat on the same lake with the same conditions, we reached 6.8 mph...a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE gain in speed. It is our best selling Hobie "accessory" outside of rod holders and is worth every penny of the $100 price tag.

The pricing on the Hobies is already starting to go up. The old PA14s were $2549 and the new one is going to be right under the $3000 mark. I cannot comment on the pricing of the other models as we have not received hard numbers for them but it looks like Hobie may rise prices on many of their models.

Hope I commented in time to give some valuable perspective from someone who paddles, sells, and repairs these boats on a daily basis.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 pm

MiniVan wrote:Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. Just to build on what the other guys have said, its going to be the Hobie. We get this question almost every day at work. The ONLY advantage the Propel system has is the aforementioned ability for you to go in reverse. That being said, if you are in a big lake or in the ocean and really have the need the go backwards, you are probably in the wrong sport.

I have paddled all models of propel and mirage drive kayaks and the mirage drive system is more refined. Its very efficient and its design is ultra clever. With the ability to go skinny by sucking the fins up, the Im @#$@#% pissed off factor is greatly reduced because you do NOT have to take the drive system up like the Propel. The outback is a GREAT all around boat. We call it the utility boat of the Hobie line because it can handle the lakes, ponds, streams, and can also tackle the bays and even beyond the breakers for those chasing saltwater gamefish. Its built to handle a good amount of chop and is very stable for a 12' boat. The pro angler is a barge and the revolutions can't handle tough conditions as well as the outback. You will be getting A LOT of boat for a 12' boat.

Paddling the Revolution 13 with standard fins, we maxed out with an average of 5.5 mph. This is sprinting speed done using a number of people comprised of different body types, heights, weights, and strength. With the turbo fins installed using the same boat on the same lake with the same conditions, we reached 6.8 mph...a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE gain in speed. It is our best selling Hobie "accessory" outside of rod holders and is worth every penny of the $100 price tag.

The pricing on the Hobies is already starting to go up. The old PA14s were $2549 and the new one is going to be right under the $3000 mark. I cannot comment on the pricing of the other models as we have not received hard numbers for them but it looks like Hobie may rise prices on many of their models.

Hope I commented in time to give some valuable perspective from someone who paddles, sells, and repairs these boats on a daily basis.
Yes, I was actually waiting to get a response from you - Thanks

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:52 am

Personally I like the comfort of the native vs the hobie.