This or that. Toon vs. yak - help!

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

This or that. Toon vs. yak - help!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:54 pm

catchercraft-3.JPG
catchercraft-3.JPG (17.33 KiB) Viewed 9300 times
I have two grand to spend. I will be fishing this craft on lakes, the largest approx. 750 acres. My other option is a Hobie Mirage. Having a very hard time deciding between the two. My top 3 priorities -
1) SAFETY
2) Comfort
3) Mobility
My first concern is that I am not a very strong swimmer. I don't want to fall in, but chances are at some point in time it will happen. So stability is of major importance. I just don't see how the yak could be more stable. A PFD will be worn at all times. Comfort is also very important. The toon looks better in this regard also. Mobility. I think the yak is the obvious choice here. I would put a 45 lb. thrust electric on the toon.
I'm not worried about transportation as I will trailer the craft. I will also add the wheel option to whichever I choose. Both can be customized to fit the angler so this is not of concern either. I feel both crafts will last me a very long time. I like that the frame of the toon is 50" wide, where the yak is 33". I feel like the toon will offer more freedom of movement with a swivel seat, I'm not concealed inside anything allowing more freedom of movement. The one plus I like about the yak is that I don't have to add a motor and battery. This addition will only cost about 150 bucks, but it's something additional I will have to lug around and set up. I've watched stability videos about the Hobies, and they appear worthy. However, that aside I like to have peace of mind while on the water so I can enjoy myself. These lakes can get windy and that is another downside for the toon. I will be bucking the wind big time. The yak should get me around quicker, but I don't mind just putting around. The toon has an anti skid floor built onto the frame, a motor mount, and a heel rest. I will configure rod holders and storage. My choice right now is the toon. Plus the owners live in Ellensburg and will deliver it to me free of charge to Spokane. The toon would stay assembled at all times. Which craft would you choose and why? Which is truly the safer fishing platform? Which craft is going to make days on the water more enjoyable? Please provide your feedback. I really want to know what your opinions are.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: This or that. Toon vs. yak - help!

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:01 pm

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Move up to the pro angler http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/

I used this boat in the ocean for tarpon, grouper, sharks, kingfish and all of the shallow inshore fish. You can even put a trolling motor on it I think. Only issue is weight, but if you are using a trailer its a wash.

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 pm

I’ve never fished out of a pontoon, so I really can't comment on them. There are lots of kayak options, though. If you are going to use a trolling motor, check out the Nucanoe Frontiers. They are very stable boats for well less than $2k. If you want hands free, I would look into the Hobie Pro Angler 12 or 14 and the Native Slayer Propel. These both retail for more than $2k, but may be worth the extra cash. The PA is larger and more stable and has the mirage drive that can work in very shallow water. The Propel retails for about $500 less, weighs less, and has the ability to go in reverse.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:02 am

I like the Native Slayer, but why does it not come with an oar? That Porta Boat is interesting. I like the idea of a Kayak as it is maintenance free and it can't pop. What do you guys think about this little thing?
http://www.solo-boat.com/solo-boat-xl

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 am

Unless a retailer puts together package of sorts, kayaks generally don't include a paddle.

The solo-boat is pretty interesting. There are lots of possibilities if you want to use a trolling motor. You could even look into something like this with your budget: http://bassyaks.com/

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:43 pm

I've been using a 'toon for about 10 years. Nothing is more stable, or more comfortable. I use the seat from my Ranger on my pontoon. I use mine mainly on rivers where the current moves me. I have a trolling motor but because it sits almost directly behind the seat, it is awkward to control. Am arm attached that would allow you to turn the motor without trying to reach behind would make control easier. Pontoons are so much easier to get in and out of. I'm a big guy and trying to climb out of a yak, even a SOT is hard for me. As a fishing platform, It's hard to beat a pontoon.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Okay. I think I've made a decision. Kind of. Not going with a toon. One, maintenance free. No popping, leaking, or patching. I prefer simplicity. Two, there always seems to be some sort of wind on the lake and a toon will likely be a pain.
So I've narrowed it down to two options. Maybe you guys can help. Since I'm not going toon I'm not gonna trailer. Its between a Slayer propel and a Nucanoe. I like the extra foot of width on the Nucanoe. It Should be more stable. I would add an electric and all the extras and still come out under two grand. Both are light so I can car top. The propel drive on the Slayer might sway me. So might the price.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:42 pm

And I agree the toon will be more comfy and stable. Just not practical in terms of everything else compared to a yak for what I want.

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:11 pm

Any chance there is a dealer near you where you can demo these boats? That would be the best course of action, but I know that's not always possible.

My experience in a NuCanoe is limited to paddling a Frontier 10 around for a few minutes, so take this for what it's worth. I think the NuCanoe is going to be more stable and even the 12 footer is a bit lighter than the Propel. I can stand and fish easily in from both boats (granted, I'm shorter that average).

I fish a lot of tournaments in which motors aren't allowed, so I chose the Slayer Propel, which I believe helps me to fish more efficiently than paddle craft in the waters I fish (mostly flat water). There is lots of chat online about the Propel vs Hobie's Mirage Drive, so I won't get into that. I chose the Propel because it's easier to cartop than a Pro Angler and I enjoy having reverse.

It's also worth noting that you may want to account for a little more cost to get your boat set up how you want. I probably have around $600 in a fish finder, rod holders, paddle holder, etc. This, of course, will vary among individuals.

All that being said, If I were just fishing for fun, I would go with the Nucanoe and a trolling motor. This would allow for less fatigue on water and better control in the wind, which can be a kayak fisherman's worst enemy. You can still paddle the NuCanoe, just don't expect to go as fast or as far as most other narrower boats. The NuCanoe would likely be better on shallow rivers/creeks as well, If you ever decided to fish those. I still suggest you do lots of research and demo if possible.

One more note, don't get rid of your trailer. Just because you can car top a boat doesn't mean that's always the easiest way. Lot's of folks trailer boats that are lighter than mine.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Drewgill wrote:I’ve never fished out of a pontoon, so I really can't comment on them. There are lots of kayak options, though. If you are going to use a trolling motor, check out the Nucanoe Frontiers. They are very stable boats for well less than $2k. If you want hands free, I would look into the Hobie Pro Angler 12 or 14 and the Native Slayer Propel. These both retail for more than $2k, but may be worth the extra cash. The PA is larger and more stable and has the mirage drive that can work in very shallow water. The Propel retails for about $500 less, weighs less, and has the ability to go in reverse.
I to own a nucanoe and am 6'5" tall and 210. I stand and have plenty of stability. I have yet to try the new frontier but rock the 12' classic. Its not there latest offering, and i think i would now get the frontier only because i want to use a fish finder. The classic does not allow for a threw hull transducer and is the only think i dont like about my boat. Due to the fact i bring my 5 year old i chose this boat as it is a double hull and will not sink even when filled with water. You can just get back in and bail or pump it dry.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:41 pm

I was in the same boat and it all boils down to how you like to fish.

A toon will get tossed around on windy days and there isnt much support as far as parts goes to add on to it. Kayak's are really exploding and with them being stable enough to stand up on, it's a no brainer if you like to stand and fish. I personally dont ever sit and fish so I wanted a kayak. There are some one man pontoons that you can stand on but it just never appealed to me. Going through the nasty stuff with a yak is so much easier too. Then again, I've never been in a ponton but I did have a Sea Eagle Fold Cat.

I just took delivery of my Cuda 12 so I'm excited. The Hobie's are a nice concept but it seems like they are more of a open/big water kayak. I fish in the nasty/shallow stuff for bass mainly so I dont think the fins would last very long or work very well for me. If I was a ocean fisherman, the Hobie is a no brainer.

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:14 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:I just took delivery of my Cuda 12 so I'm excited.
I have a Cuda 12 and although it's probably not the best at any one thing, I feel like it's one of the most versatile boats on the market. I regularly have it on tiny creeks and huge reservoirs.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:27 am

Nucanoe frontier 12 it is! Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. This platform should fit me quite nice. Roomy and stable. Im getting the max 360 chair, battery box, oar, two mighty mounts for the front, 3 of the ball mounts for the slide track, one Zooka tube, and 3 rod tubes, one will be used for a net. All for under 1700. Now I just need an electric and the anchor trolley. Oh, I got the wheel cart too. Still in at 100 under my budget. Can't wait! Sonar and camera will cone later. Maybe the mighty table thing, but I think it might get in the way.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Congratulations on your decision and i hope to see tons of picks on your vessel all decked out!