Ultraskiff

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ultraskiff

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:33 am

Has anyone used one of these before?

They look pretty cool..

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ultraskiff

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:41 pm

I started a thread a while back. Page 3 of the general page. If you're electric craps out for whatever reason, how do you get back to shore? Swim? I don't think you could row it, so what's the secondary source of power?

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu May 26, 2016 2:43 pm

They look kinda neat but as far as small watercraft go, I would feel a whole bunch more seaworthy with one of those pontoon boat thingys that I see guys mount trolling motors on.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:05 pm

It seems pretty damn stable, I think if the electric went out then you would have to paddle but I'm not sure how well
that would work.

Its not some thing I would want to go to far from the shorelines though, I would use it to fish along shorlines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw7ubxk7ujs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88ghVwrnSk

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:25 am

This is one of the coolest thing I have ever seen. Finally a small watercraft with bass boat casting deck like stability. There's another option too, Roundabouts. They even have a tow hitch mounted holster for the thing which is really cool.

https://www.roundaboutwatercrafts.com/p ... man-boats/

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:09 am

Seriously thinking about getting one of these. I bought a SOT kayak last season to try out as a pond hopper and it was terrible. Standing up in it was a cruel joke and i have one you're supposed to be able to stand up in. Just reaching around made it want to tip over real bad. These round boats look super stable and easy to transport by hitch carrier or truck bed. I like the idea of hand trucking or rolling it to the water too. I'd definetly want a telocopic paddle for emergencies like the battery dies or something.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 am

This might give you some idea on the paddling speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKozFeOrV-8

Maybe bring along a spare motor instead?

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:50 pm

What about the solo skiff? This has had my attention for a while now.

https://www.soloskiff.com

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 am

sqhertz wrote:What about the solo skiff? This has had my attention for a while now.

https://www.soloskiff.com
Now there's a personal watercraft that can eat up some miles!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Looks like the opposite of a roundabout/ultraskiff. Fast and tippy vs slow and stable. Looks badass though.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:43 pm

And if it happens to be windy outside, you can now play on your new meri go round :lol:

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Opinions of course vary, but IMO the best pond boat is the new Bass Hunter Pro Series...just bought one for me and the youngster...unlike the thin plastic of the comparable BPS model, or the Sun Dolpihn, or even the Pelican Bass Raider, the BH Pro is heavy duty and one piece, made like a stout kayak....with kayak style super comfy stadium seating, and height adjustable super heavy duty frames...haven't gotten mine on the water yet, but I am very impressed with build quality, definitely gonna enjoy this bad boy

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:43 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Opinions of course vary, but IMO the best pond boat is the new Bass Hunter Pro Series...just bought one for me and the youngster...unlike the thin plastic of the comparable BPS model, or the Sun Dolpihn, or even the Pelican Bass Raider, the BH Pro is heavy duty and one piece, made like a stout kayak....with kayak style super comfy stadium seating, and height adjustable super heavy duty frames...haven't gotten mine on the water yet, but I am very impressed with build quality, definitely gonna enjoy this bad boy
Those are pretty good pond hoppers too. They fit the bed a truck nicely but can't be transported by car unless you get a little trailer. Yeah, thin plastic sucks. My Asend DT10 from BPS is made from real thin and flimsy stuff. If it wasn't hard enough to try and stand in that narrow tippy thing but to have the floor of it moving around makes it even worse.
Hogsticker2 wrote:And if it happens to be windy outside, you can now play on your new meri go round :lol:
Getting blown around in the wind is going to suck. It already stinks in a kayak but the roundabout is taller and will be caught by the wind more but it is meant to be powered by a trolling motor so you can deal with the wind through motor control. Shouldn't spin with those big skeg like things on the bottom of it.