BlueSky Boatworks 360 Angler Review

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BlueSky Boatworks 360 Angler Review

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:14 pm

First, let me mention that I bought one of these through a program where early subscribers could purchase one ahead of the release at a substantial discount. They retail for $3499 and I think I paid $2399 for mine. Cost wise, the current retail price is, more or less, consistent with other big kayaks, say Hobie PA 12s and PA14s, the Natives and several others.

Is it a kayak? Well, hmm??? It is 13'4" in length, so not any longer than many fishing kayaks, actually sort of average; and, it is 48" wide, so about 6" or so wider than a Native Titan Propel.

Review - - -

Pros-

1) That extra 6" over the other already widest kayaks? It means with its substantial deck areas (they call them porches) that one can literally walk all over the vessel. It is more stable by leaps and bounds than any kayak or canoe I have ever used;
2) It can be slid straight up on my 2016 Toyota Tacoma's bed. Because it has a slight taper from its widest point to the bow, it fits almost perfectly between the wheel wells. I use a bed extender by choice. No trailer is required unless you just want one;
3) It has built in cart wheels. This is a feature all big kayak-type vessels need and having this as a standard feature? It saves a person money later on;
4) It has an actual swiveling bass seat mounted to a substantial post. This is the highest seat on the market likely by 6" or so. Issues related to standing up or sitting back down? Gone;
5) It has a built in starboard side "rack" for carrying multiple rods, an anchor pole, a paddle;
6) It has a really giant, over-sized rudder that is controlled on both sides of the seat;
7) It has 4 compartments for storing rods in 2 of them, for storing tackle boxes in others;
8) Its tongue weight on the bow end? It surprised me how light it was, easier to move down to the water than any other kayak I have owned;
9) It has holes in the "porches" where one can stab an anchor pole, or multiple anchor poles, down into the mud;
10) It has two built in mounts for power poles on the rear of each hull;
11) and, last, it has a pedal system with many innovative features (it kicks up if it hits something, multiple adjustments, etc.)

Cons:

1) You sit high, so you catch wind more than from a lower seating in a traditional fishing kayak;
2) It paddles, sure, but it'll be a slow grind. I like standing a paddling better;
3) It isn't very fast, I'd say 3.5 MPH might be maximum speed.

So, more pros than cons. Finally, gosh, it comes with a seat bag, 2 rod holders, a "thingy" to hold your water bottle, tools to work in the "boat," and more.

I'd give it a solid "A" for anything from small pond fishing to large lakes. I'd be hesitant to shoot down a river where you might run into something between the two hulls and get spun around, or worse. Too, it'd be super fishing flats, not so much I suspect offshore. It won "Best in Show" at the ICAST this past summer, so others like it, too. Hope this helps!!!

Brad

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BlueSky Boatworks 360 Angler Review

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Oh! And, no, I have no business/financial relationship with the manufacturer. I should have mentioned that in my review.

Brad

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 pm

I will indeed own one of these some day. Hopefully sooner than later. Wish I had the cash to get it at the price you did. For me personally, I don't think there is a better watercraft for my wants and needs. Now I just have to keep the gear monkey off my back long enough to save money for this, and we all know what a b*itc* that is.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 am

For sure, just remove all links to TW and other sources for lures, lines, etc. I know how THAT goes, money spent on this and that!

One thing I find rather compelling about this 360 is the fact that its catamaran style really opens it up for future conversions of all sorts. There will soon be an E-Drive that pops directly in to the lower drive, that's nice, but anyone can make all sorts of future adaptations and run this vessel with either a small outboard or a trolling motor.

Mentioned elsewhere, what we need are more very small outboards, engines around 1 HP. That size would be more than enough to compete with trolling motors for pushing small vessels around. There are now a few that run on the little green propane tanks (Lehr was first out, now Tohatsu) and if these were made small enough, since they require no battery (often 50 lbs., so they avoid that), and one could carry 2 or 3 of the little propane bottles, one could go out for days. I think it'd revolutionize powered kayaking and other small vessels.

What a potential market!!! What an oversight, a missed opportunity by the outboard motor crowd!

Cheers! Brad

shawndoe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by shawndoe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Brad,
Are you still liking the angler 360?
Have or did you do any modifications?

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 am

Hey Brad, I considered one of these but passed. I had just bought a little stick steer Tracker boat. I consider it a two man kayak with ipilot and will do 30 mph ;)

In the last three weeks I bought a used Hobie Outback. I don’t know why I wanted so long to get a Hobie, I love it! About the only thing I won’t use it for is floating shallow rivers, which we have several of around here. I kept my Jackson for that.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun May 19, 2019 7:59 am

Oops! Sorry I didn't see and respond faster to these posts.

Yes, I really like the 360 but it is really more boat than kayak. What is so very interesting about it is it fits inside my Toyota Tacoma bed so no trailer needed for even smaller trucks.

And, the tongue weight to carry it down to and off the water? Much less than anyone could possibly expect. It is like carrying two modest weighted pieces of luggage. A young kid could do it, no issues.

No mods for me as it comes loaded. What it REALLY needs? Power. Either a trolling motor or the coming E-Drive. Without it, it just doesn't move fast enough.

Warhawk! You made some good choices, I think!!!

Cheers! Brad

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:59 am
Oops! Sorry I didn't see and respond faster to these posts.
Brad, have you taken this thing out in any chop/waves worth mentioning? I like the commanding seat position...but suspect it has virtually zero secondary stability.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Sorry for my delay . . . again. We just got back from a very long western USA road trip. 4,000 miles over 2 weeks!

Well, yes, I have been out in fair winds, some chop but not enough to give any guidance based on actual experience. But, since it is a catamaran style vessel with 2 pontoons, it feels like sort of walking around on a boat deck.

Both initial and secondary stability would far exceed all more traditional style kayaks.

The main issue with the vessel is its lack of speed. It is slow as a snail. So, one should likely treat the pedals as a back up mode of "get home" power and then choose to use either a small outboard, the new E-Drive (if it is ever released) or just a TM which can be mounted to either the bow or stern ends.

Doing this, motoring up, converts this vessel into functionally a small very portable boat.

Cheers! Brad

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Brad, you can probably answer this. Other than seating position, what would make this Blue Sky rig better than a Bass Buster boat with a trolling motor? I see people raving about their Blue Sky boat, but nearly all intend to add the electric motor when available.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Hmm, Warhawk, let me think here!

It is very stable and has multiple sites for adding a TM, other power sources or a small outboard. Fits on the back of a truck (2016 Toyota Tacoma). No need for a trailer. Very light and a small kid could walk it down to the water to launch it. The seat is large and comfortable and high so standing is a non-event. Lots of storage on deck and inside each pontoon. Lots of standard gear. A great big rudder with controls mounted to the seat.

Too slow for my liking if one limits it to its pedals, this thing needs a TM set up, a small outboard or the new E-Drive if it is ever released. The pedals could be used to move around once on spot or as a secondary get-home power source.

And, there is nothing innovative, at all, about the vessel, just a collection of tried and true things compiled in one vessel in a catamaran format.

Best uses? Shallow coastal waters, fly fishing, lakes. Not likely good for running Arkansas rivers where you might catch something between the pontoons and get spun around!

To me, closer to a boat than kayak for sure.

Brad