Yak help... Questions

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Yak help... Questions

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:18 pm

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've looked at kayaks. What are the widest options on the market today? I've been looking, and it seems that the Native Titan 13.5 is the widest, is this true? Last time I looked, 3 Waters and Feel Free had some big ones, but it looks like new models have gotten slimmer.
Are there other one man pedal drive platforms out there? Any options that ride on pontoons? I remembered looking at one that was essentially a floating dock with a pedal drive, but I don't recall the name. I'm after supreme stability, or as stable as this type of boat can get, plus a pedal drive. I'd like to have maximum deck space with rod holders. I'm not interested in any canoes atm. Don't need to move quickly, but I'd like a decent turning radiance. Hopefully there are options outside of Hobie.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Yak help... Questions

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:39 am

The top of the line kayaks from each company will be very stable. Native Titan and Slayer, Hobie Pro Angler, Old Town Predator/Bigwater PDL are the big 3 that are quality kayaks. I went with the Old Town because of the warranty, lifetime on the hull and 5 years on the drive is leading the industry. At 36” wide(pro angler is 38”)you’d have to work pretty hard to flip or fall out of it. More stable than a bass boat. I sightfish a lot standing on the seat, no issues getting up or down.

One thing that’s nice for bass fishing is that you can mount a ninja grass blade on the PDL drive just like a trolling motor and it works perfectly. Doesn’t seem to work on other drives. PDL drive is regarded as best on the market right now. Pretty much bulletproof, fast, very smooth and quiet.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:05 am

I have a PA14 and have no experience with this boat, but Blue Sky Boatworks is a pontoon style peddle drive boat.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:50 pm

I went with an oldtown autopilot 120... Spot lock sold me... It's the best fishing kayak IMO..

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:18 pm

Think I'm going to splurge and go with the new Titan Propel X 12.5 when it releases.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:09 am

If I was going for a stable kayak I would get something with a trolling motor, or one that can use a motor as a later upgrade, I am a big fan of nucanoe, take a look at the pursuit, it’s a great fishing kayak that can be peddled or add a motor to it

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:47 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:18 pm
Think I'm going to splurge and go with the new Titan Propel X 12.5 when it releases.
Can’t go wrong there, looks like a well thought out kayak with some good upgrades from the original.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:41 pm

Okay guys and gals. I've narrowed it down to these two choices -
Native Titan Propel X 12.5
Feelfree Dorado 12.5 V2

Any thoughts, opinions or user reviews?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:24 am

I’d go with the Native for sure. One big advantage of the Native is the drive is simple and they have instructions/videos on how to take it apart and service/repair it. Not the fastest, but good quality. Also have upgrades to just about everything including the rudder.
Really never hear anything about FeelFree so I don’t think many are buying them. Seat looks comfortable though ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:56 am

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:24 am
I’d go with the Native for sure. One big advantage of the Native is the drive is simple and they have instructions/videos on how to take it apart and service/repair it. Not the fastest, but good quality. Also have upgrades to just about everything including the rudder.
Really never hear anything about FeelFree so I don’t think many are buying them. Seat looks comfortable though ;)
Thanks! The one thing I'm getting hung up on with the Feelfree is that awesome, removable battery box. I also like that it has side rails - something I haven't seen on other yaks. I really like the 360 swivel seat on the new Titan.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:22 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:56 am
Jeffbro999 wrote:
Thanks! The one thing I'm getting hung up on with the Feelfree is that awesome, removable battery box. I also like that it has side rails - something I haven't seen on other yaks. I really like the 360 swivel seat on the new Titan.
Are you planning on running a trolling motor? If you only want/need battery for electronics, there are many good options without a bulky battery box.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:52 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:22 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Jeffbro999 wrote:
Are you planning on running a trolling motor? If you only want/need battery for electronics, there are many good options without a bulky battery box.
Nah, just a sonar - maybe two.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:40 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:52 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Jeffbro999 wrote:
Then a 20aH Nocqua should be good enough, you don't need a giant car battery-size contraption like on the FeelFree (even if it's a car battery-sized Lithium). I have two 20aH Nocqua batteries (running two Helixes), each fits into the palm of my hand and I just put them into the hatch space inside the kayak.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:15 am

Very true, no need for that big case and you can make your own to fit the battery you need. I made one out of a waterproof ammo case. Added USB plug and 12v, as well as a few other accessories. Only need it for PowerPole battery so it’s easier to remove to charge.
Looks like the Native has a nice battery compartment under the seat so that’s there if you do decide to add a motor in the future.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:01 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:40 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:52 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Jeffbro999 wrote:
Then a 20aH Nocqua should be good enough, you don't need a giant car battery-size contraption like on the FeelFree (even if it's a car battery-sized Lithium). I have two 20aH Nocqua batteries (running two Helixes), each fits into the palm of my hand and I just put them into the hatch space inside the kayak.
I should have mentioned - If I do choose the Dorado, there is always the possibility I might eventually get motor designed to plug into the drive. It's actually pretty cool. I wish I could find some pictures of the bottom of the hulls for both the Dorado V2 and the Titan X.