Spincasting UL outfit

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spincasting UL outfit

Post by gillchaser » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm putting together an UL spin casting outfit using a Zebco Omega Z02 reel . I'm impressed with the little reel . So much that I've ordered a custom UL casting Rod from BigDady rods , using an UL spinning blank . Going to use a stone stripping guide for my first guide , with matching thread. I'll use it for small cranks and jig spinners . The reel weighs in at 8.3 oz , just a little more than my Shimano Stradic 1000 .
I need a reel that winds with the right hand and switching over a spinning reel didn't feel right after 40 years of winding left . For some reason a baitcaster and spincaster feels normal winding with the right hand . GIllchaser

rickman1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spincasting UL outfit

Post by rickman1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 am

Sounds like a good setup.

I like spin casting reels and I have an Omega 2 on one of my rods. Usually let the grandkids use the spin cast reels but I do like using them myself once in awhile.

I wish they made more decent spin casting reels. So far the Omega models have been my favorites. The Daiwa Goldcast and Silvercast reels are not bad either.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 am

rickman1 wrote:Sounds like a good setup.

I like spin casting reels and I have an Omega 2 on one of my rods. Usually let the grandkids use the spin cast reels but I do like using them myself once in awhile.

I wish they made more decent spin casting reels. So far the Omega models have been my favorites. The Daiwa Goldcast and Silvercast reels are not bad either.
Thanks , I wish Zebco would make a Z01 . I grew up fishing with Zebco 33's until I graduated to spinning reels . I've used and own several baitcasters , but have never grown to love them . They have a place in my arsenal , mostly for bigger cranks and spinnerbaits , but I don't fish those very often . Too much work . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

An update on my UL spincasing outfit . Well I've had a chance to fish the Omega Z02 a couple of times . For now , while I wait for my custom UL Casting Rod , I've settled on a Daiwa Sweepfire 5 1/2' ML Rod . It's an inexpensive rod , made on a black fiberglass blank , that fishes more of like a light action than a ML .
. I spooled the Omega with some 4# test mono and have been throwing 1/16 and 1/32 jigs with curlytails or Sliders . Last time out , in 47 degree water , I manage three crappies , four bluegills , and about a half dozen LM bass with the largest about 14" .
I'm enjoying winding from the other side and tangle free casting of the Omega . So much I've bought a second one . I'm really impressed with the build of theses little reels . Gillchaser

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:44 am

Heres a pic of my pair of UL Spincasters . The Zebco Omega Z02's are mounted on UL rods that I converted from short flyrods made from UL spinning blanks to casting rods . Gillchaser

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 pm

I grew up using spincasters here in South Africa (no Zebcos only Daiwa and Abu) but these days they are pretty much a US only deal. We have a few guys locally who nurse along Abumatics which they use to throw spinners on mono - controls the twist apparently - but apart from that not a popular choice anywhere else which I find interesting. I'd be interested to see a JDM spincaster though!