Interested in a new rod...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Interested in a new rod...

Post by oops » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:42 pm

I have 2 "ultralight" setups at the moment:

1. Looms SR 6010 IMX + Symetre 500FJ with 4lb Berkley XT

2. Fenwick Techna AV 6' light power fast action (don't feel like looking at the model number) + Symetre 750FI with 4lb Berkley XT

The Loomis combo is perfect for 1/32oz jigheads with a 1.5" tube, great for vertical-ish fishing in less than 10' of water, drifting by shallow brush piles for crappie. I absolutely love this rod, but there is no doubt that it is a noodle, and I feel like its applications are a bit limited by its length and its action. This combo is perfection as far as balance goes and is incredibly comfortable to fish.

The Fenwick combo is relatively effective for 1/16oz road runner jigheads with soft plastics and 1/32 or 1/16oz regular jigheads with soft plastics when I want to cast and retrieve my lure as opposed to drifting or casting it out and bouncing it back. Although it is rated light power and fast action, it is much more like a medium light or even medium and extra fast in my opinion. I'm really not a big fan of this rod honestly. It works but it just doesn't feel ideal for what I'm using it for and seems to have pretty poor sensitivity, which is odd since I own many other old Techna AVs and they are great. This combo is painfully (literally, after a few hours of fishing) tip heavy

These two setups are on pretty opposite ends of the spectrum and I'd really like something more in the middle. I want a soft enough tip to give tube jigs a great wiggle action without actually moving them much, and give the fish some time to make sure they get the bait in their mouth since bluegills and family love to grab the end of baits before taking it. I also want the rod to actually have some backbone that lets me control/move the fish, fish in 15+ feet of water and effectively detect bites and get good hooksets as well as effectively fish/retrieve 1/16oz jigheads+soft plastic or up to 1/8oz class hard baits. I THINK this means I want something that is rated as UL/Fast, but the "fast" action on my old Fenwick has made me very hesitant to buy a rod sight unseen without getting some input here first.

At the moment I am feeling like $200ish max as a budget, I simply see no reason to spend more on this rod, and I have no real interest in any JDM offerings for this. A 2+ piece rod would be a very, very nice bonus, but not absolutely necessary.

My current contenders are:

Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner 6'9" UL/F 2-piece

St Croix Premier 6'6" or 7" UL/F 2-piece

St Croix Avid 6'6" UL/F 2-piece (how big of a difference is there between the Avid and Premier?)

I've owned a ton of Fenwicks over the years and have really liked most of them. My most recent was a 2 piece Elite Tech Smallmouth casting rod that I got on FFO that I love. Never owned a St Croix before.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated :)

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Interested in a new rod...

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:55 pm

Landed a 5lb rainbow, a 10lb carp and multiple suckers up to about 7lbs tbis week with my ET River Runner. All in current with 6lb Sunline Supernatural. This rod never ceases to impress me.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 pm

I have been fishing the 6'9" Light power ET RR. Last weekend I was casting a 1/48 oz jig and a 2" Power minnow for trout. On 4lb mono. Decent sized fish are manageable. Caught some small LM bass on it also. It is my current favorite.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:27 pm

I also have the ET RR 6'9" UL. It doesn't cast as well as some of my other rods, but it's a good stick for fishing vertically. If you were planning on jigging crappie from a brushpile, it would be fine. It has tiny running guides on the last 1/3 of the rod which I think limit distance in casting. Not an issue for vertical jigging. It has plenty of backbone for setting hooks.

The Daiwa Presso is an excellent rod for the money & a true fast action UL. I think it's the best production rod in that price class. The only one that I like better is a custom rod that I built myself on MHX blank with upgraded components. I couldn't build the Presso for what you can buy 1 for online (which is unusual - you can build a St Croix rod for much cheaper than retail). I have 2 Presso UL's now and both are excellent. The 4-piece is also very good. Minor complaints are the minima guides and hook hanger. I still like it much better than the ET RR.

Just as a word of caution, the Daiwa Spinmatic is listed as a fast action....but it's really more of moderate action at best. I understand the problem of not trusting rod manufacturer's ratings.

The St. Croix rods are all good. I think QC has gone downhill a bit from 10+ years ago as well as customer service. At my local shop, they refuse to carry them anymore. On the plus side, they are widely available....so go to your nearest retailer and pick up a few. Make sure the guides are on straight, wrapped well and there are no obvious defects in the blank or guides. If you can help it, don't order online.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:56 am

I have the 6'0" avid ul/f and it has been a great rod. Compared to the premier the avid is a bit lighter but more importantly wasn't as much of a noodle as the premier felt. I've caught everything from brim to bass, pike to carp. The largest fish was a 20lb grass carp I caught a night on a little popper. 10 minutes of pure fight on 4lb test and a shimano 500 reel. I'll never forget it. The avid also has the lifetime warranty but I haven't had to use it.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:38 am

Regarding St Croix, the Avid is worth the extra $$$ over the Premier...I have a 7' Premier UL 2 pc, an Avid 6'6" UL 2 pc and I also have the Avid 6'6" light 2pc model for any lure that has a lip.

People really seemed to highly regard the ET RR, but it seems that I haven't heard much since they changed it up a bit a while back...one always hopes that good attributes aren't messed up when changes are made.

I'd recommend the older style Daiwa Procyon if they still made them...it would appear that the Presso rods are their successors. What reviews there are seem to be a bit mixed...maybe just due to individual tastes.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I still haven't decided which one to pull the trigger on...now I kind of want to give one of the 4 piece Presso rods a shot and maybe one of the others I was interested in...at which point I sort of feel like I should just get the Loomis TSR 801-2 instead :D

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:08 am

I have the TSR791 (one piece model) and love it.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:53 am

The Presso Pack Rod is pretty decent.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Take a look at the Phenix Elixir. It has the backbone plus a nice tip for what you will be doing.

If you're comparing to the TSR of the same ratings, the Elixir will have more backbone and a faster tip.

Thaddeus
Angler
Angler

Post by Thaddeus » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:55 am

Check out the Loomis SR 781 and 782