Daiwa UL7 combo

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
grewia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa UL7 combo

Post by grewia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 pm

I'm sure many remember this reel, but... in the mid 90's you could get this reel with a rod in a blister pack at the Navy Exchange. It was an impressively balanced combo for the price. Anyone remember the rod that used to come with?

Or, if you have recommendations on a decent rod with an accommodating seat I'm open to you guys suggestions.

I have a few trout rods that won't properly accommodate the smaller reel foot... Same foot size as Daiwa 500c among others...

Or, anyone know of an aftermarket solution to extend the foot to fit in "current" rod seats?

*Edit

Also, another detail about the rod, the grips were black EVA and the down-locking fore-grip lock was "clicky".

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa UL7 combo

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:03 am

The Reel

The rod is probably is harder to find than the reel.

Both my St Croix Avids and Daiwa UL rods will hold securely at the very least a 1 3/4" foot.

What is the foot length of the UL7?

grewia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by grewia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:12 am

Is that UL7 from your quiver? If so, is yours made in Thailand just as mine?

The reel foot is ~2 1/8" (L) x ~1/2" (W)

Which model Daiwa UL rods do you use with yours?

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 am

No, I don't own one...just pulled the image from the web.

I have the older style Diawa Procyons...when all the rods in that line were UL. A Daiwa Presso UL travel rod and Daiwa Spinmatic C rods.

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:37 pm

grewia wrote:I'm sure many remember this reel, but... in the mid 90's you could get this reel with a rod in a blister pack at the Navy Exchange. It was an impressively balanced combo for the price. Anyone remember the rod that used to come with?

Or, if you have recommendations on a decent rod with an accommodating seat I'm open to you guys suggestions.

I have a few trout rods that won't properly accommodate the smaller reel foot... Same foot size as Daiwa 500c among others...

Or, anyone know of an aftermarket solution to extend the foot to fit in "current" rod seats?

*Edit

Also, another detail about the rod, the grips were black EVA and the down-locking fore-grip lock was "clicky".
i have 2 Daiwa UL7's...and yes, the reel foot is small. i fish them on some old rods that I have with sliding rings. you could also find a straight cork handle, line up where you want the reel, wrap 2 spots with masking tape (to protect the cork), and then wrap down tightly with electrical tape. they are showing their age, but still working perfectly. great reels!