Trout rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
BlackMarlin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Trout rod

Post by BlackMarlin » Sun May 31, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi guys :)

I need some help in choosing a rod for trout fishing. I LOVE JDM tackle and am considering only those options.

As for my background, I am shore jigging guy with a big love for ZENAQ rods, and this year i ventured into light spinning on sea. I tried GL Corto but it was not my type of rod. I got Finezza Prototype 842ML-T and just fell in love with it. Since my love for light game is stronger with every day I would like to get a trout rod also. Finezza is awesome for big trouts on local lake, but I need a different rod for river fishing.

I am looking for a rod between 185cm and 200cm, with casting range somewhere between 0.5g to 7g or 8g max. I plan to work minnows and jerk baits in 2g-5g range and ocassional jighead silicone fishing.

I was looking at Tenryu Rayz Spectra RZS61LL or Graphiteleader Super Belleza 672L.
A friend of mine raved about some SMITH Inter Boron model.

Since Graphiteleader markets their Super Bellezza as area rod, I am afraid it will be too weak in the tip for twitching. But I am just a sucker for all this technology in their rods. For Tenryu I am wondering is it less sensitive, weaker in the spine, lower tier fit and finish and lower tier product overall...

I cant try those rods personally so any input will be great. I am looking for sensitivity, "fun" factor in fight with 10in trout, but be able to subdue 27in wild trout with some skill, and power of the tip to twitch lures properly. For example, my Finezza Proto is 3-15g but has too soft tip to twitch Megabass Oneten JR. which is only 10.5g in weight but asks for sharper tip.

Also if there is anything "better" on the market for my purpose, please point me in the right direction. I am not too familiar with all those JDM brands in trout fishing.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Trout rod

Post by Allsorts » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:57 pm

Good place to start is to be clear in your mind what lures (trout minnows, spoons etc), sizes and line you will be using - mono or braid. For example, a Vision 110 would be an Ito or overseas salmon lure from a JDM p.o.v., not suitable for any trout rod at all. If you want really high tech blanks and plan to use bigger lures, check out the Shimano Cardiff Monster range. I also use Graphiteleader rods and rate them highly, for big rivers, 7g and up trout lures I'd look at the Tiro Prototype range, I've used the 7'7" M for river lure fishing for African mahseer, but they are much tougher customers than trout. The 7'6" L is maybe worth looking at and it will handle spinners, spoons, drifting jig heads and plugs. Very versatile range of rods.

Tenryu is a more traditional rod maker, build quality is very good, blanks not as high tech but they make very good trout rods, I have had and used a few. These are on the 'soft' side of the trout rod world, more through action but sweet rods. Smith is well worth looking at, Lagless series is very fast, really good only for the Smith D-Contact or bigger Ryuki lures. The Il Flusso look good. I've used Souls rods, very good trout sticks, expensive though. I had an Ito Craft, stunning build but I found them a little noodly for my taste. The Anglo Company's rods are the T&T or Winston equivalent in the trout spinning world. Beautiful rods, expensive and difficult to acquire - apparently Putin uses them so make of that what you will - I assume he can use any rod he wants. M'Aire also worth a look. As with SW jigging and popping gear, this is a very deep rabbit hole. Reel wise, make sure you get a fast reel, C2000HGS or C3000XG, minimum 80cm per turn. Most of the trout spinning that's talked about on TT is really UL stuff in small streams (great fun), however if you tackle rivers with 70-90mm minnow plugs (sometimes bigger), there are some big trout to be caught, depending on your location. Using this size lure (when most everyone else is using 50mm), will result in a significant increase in the size of trout caught. Finally, join a few trout lure groups on FB, you can get more feedback on rods etc. Also check out the BFS groups.

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Re: Trout rod

Post by Trout Bloke » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:09 am

Take a look at the finesse light action bass spinning rods offered by Majorcraft, Megabass and other JDM rod makers. Yamaga Blanks offers the BlueCurrent Stream-Special 77/TZ NANO which would make a fine rod for large trout in rivers. If you research their specs, you will find the L action bass rods make fine rods for casting jerkbaits for large trout. Large stream trout especially wild ones can put put UL rods to the test in strong currents and going too light can result in disappointment. Ever catch a steelhead? Do you like swimming? Do you like wearing a pfd while river fishing?