Textbook fall day ...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Textbook fall day ...

Post by uljersey » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Air temp 49. Cloudy w/occasional showers, slight breeze. My kind of day, I had a good feeling this morning.

I found these Rebel Raiders last week and grabbed a couple of them. I had never seen them before. Man, I'm glad I did, they got bit all day long. I had a nice fat rainbow trout on that came unbuttoned next to the canoe. That sucked but that's fishing. These are 1 5/8" long and weigh 1/8 oz. They are a sinking bait and have a stationary weight and a single ball rattle which acts more or less like a very subtle one knocker. They cast very well, but being they have no lip it's up to you to give it action via twitching the rod tip. I used a 7' USDM Presso which is a moderate action rod and it worked well. It's color scheme and finish remind me of the 3DR series by Yo-Zuri, which flashes subtle shade differences as the viewing angle changes. These have a very noticeable flash from both the body and the eyes when twitched, nice attention to detail by Rebel. The Gold Flash/Black was the only color in stock, but it was the perfect color for the stained water I was on today. The stock #12 trebles were reasonably sticky out of the pack, but after the first fish of the day (a little hammer handle pickerel) swallowed the bait, I opted for the inline single hooks. Much easier to extract with hemostats. I also prefer snaps to tie to vs split rings.

This one blasted a Yo-Zuri suspending minnow after the first twitch. Typical yellow perch, hits like a freight train but zero fight :lol: Pretty fish though ...

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Textbook fall day ...

Post by ultralight » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:03 am

Pretty fish...congrats!

Regards

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Those are great pictures. I love the way the fall chill and the hunting season drives the other fishermen off. The overcrowded SoCal fiasco that I live in becomes a lot less annoying when you get on a good bite in the middle of winter with not a single boat in sight. It is almost a religious experience. :)

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:45 pm

toddmc wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:51 pm
Those are great pictures. I love the way the fall chill and the hunting season drives the other fishermen off. The overcrowded SoCal fiasco that I live in becomes a lot less annoying when you get on a good bite in the middle of winter with not a single boat in sight. It is almost a religious experience. :)
Yep. I was never much of a sports fanatic, fall weekends are great as it seems everyone holes up to watch the games. I always favored crappy overcast days to fish, that for sure keeps all but the (craziest) diehards away as well. That being said, 20 years ago I would stubbornly stick it out through the nastiest conditions, I've backed off slightly from that as I've gotten older (smarter?) ... I'll put up with mild rain or cold, but cold + rain is a no go, as is fishing in temps below freezing. I'll be home in front of the fireplace catching Z's :D