Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rods

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse Casting Rods

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:54 am

Amir_zwara wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:09 pm
.22oz is a little over 6grams.... it'll absolutely fly on the 7'4"

Thin wire hook, texposed, you'll be good. No thick wires, don't bury the point too deep.
Cool, thanks for the info.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:18 pm

I really like the taper of the rod. The solid tip transitions well into the tubular blank. The blank progressively loads until it hits a solid backbone. The taper will work for a wide variety of lures like ned rigs, worms, jerkbaits, cranks...all that Really a good all around finesse rod. Kinda jumps out to me as that one rod you would being pond hopping to cover all your bases.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:01 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:18 pm
...Kinda jumps out to me as that one rod you would being pond hopping to cover all your bases.
Good to hear. I mostly pond fish and never want to deal with two rods.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Knotty wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:01 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
...Kinda jumps out to me as that one rod you would being pond hopping to cover all your bases.
Good to hear. I mostly pond fish and never want to deal with two rods.
It's the worst. Trying to walk and fish at the same time is very cumbersome when having to lug around another rod

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:15 pm

What if one simply straps the spare rod on the back and never have to handle it unless one wants to? I find the ability to swap lures in a second when going from place to place helpful. No retying with a 2nd rod. All a matter of preference of course. I see some bass boats with 8 rods for 1 fisherman....but of course, they are on a boat. :)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:21 pm

ultralight wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:15 pm
What if one simply straps the spare rod on the back and never have to handle it unless one wants to? I find the ability to swap lures in a second when going from place to place helpful. No retying with a 2nd rod. All a matter of preference of course. I see some bass boats with 8 rods for 1 fisherman....but of course, they are on a boat. :)
For me, shore fishing requires traveling under tress and such so, that wouldn't work. That is a great option for urban anglers though.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:27 pm

I fish 3-4 rods when shore fishing. I'll fish down a ways, then fish back to the start point. Swap rods and do it all over again. Of course, all my spots are private ponds/lakes, so no worries about leaving my gear sitting out.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:00 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I really like the taper of the rod. The solid tip transitions well into the tubular blank. The blank progressively loads until it hits a solid backbone. The taper will work for a wide variety of lures like ned rigs, worms, jerkbaits, cranks...all that Really a good all around finesse rod. Kinda jumps out to me as that one rod you would being pond hopping to cover all your bases.

Thanks for the input. I would agree, if you want one rod to take, the Sierra is a great choice. Good balance of tip and backbone. Stout enough for singles, gives enough for trebles.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Amir_zwara wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:00 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Thanks for the input. I would agree, if you want one rod to take, the Sierra is a great choice. Good balance of tip and backbone. Stout enough for singles, gives enough for trebles.
I was surprised with the taper of the rod when I caught a small pike on it. Bent pretty deep but, in a controlled way.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 pm

Curious. Two questions if I may:

1. What is the weight of this rod?

2. Do they use the same blank built into a spinning rod?

Thanks.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm

How do the blanks on these compare to the blanks in the Trout & Panfish series? The stats looks similar, but not the same. One difference is casting vs spinning, of course, but are the actual blanks and actions (not) the same?

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 pm

ultralight wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:03 pm
Curious. Two questions if I may:

1. What is the weight of this rod?

2. Do they use the same blank built into a spinning rod?

Thanks.
I'm happy to answer those.... but first.... I want to preface with...
Since I originally made this post 2 things have happened:

1) I was invited by Gary to be a part of Dobyns Pro Staff team, I accepted - *disclaimer* -

2) I recently launched America's First BFS focused shop, I won't plug the name here, but I'm sure anyone interested can find me online with some searching. I am now an authorized Dobyns Rods dealer, though by choice I only offer their Sierra Ultra Finesse Series.

Now that that is out the way...

1. The SA700c weights 102g on my scale or 3.6 oz.

2. The Sierra Ultra Finesse does not use the same blank as the Sierra Trout and Panfish Series. They are built with the same materials, but purpose built as casting rods for bait finesse.
Last edited by Amir_zwara on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:03 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:10 pm
How do the blanks on these compare to the blanks in the Trout & Panfish series? The stats looks similar, but not the same. One difference is casting vs spinning, of course, but are the actual blanks and actions (not) the same?
I have actually not used the STP spinning series myself.
This is what I know for sure- the materials are the same, the blanks are not. The Sierra Ultra Finesse was built specifically as a casting rod from the ground up.
I believe the Sierra Ultra Finesse is a little faster action than the comparable 7' spinning rod in STP series. I will try to confirm that with Dobyns.

slimjim1135
Angler
Angler

Post by slimjim1135 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Amir, speaking of the trout and panfish tapers, any chance you can bend Dobyns ear to get one or two of these trout blanks put into a casting setup? I like the trout and panfish action a lot. It's faster than the average whippy trout noodle, but slower than the Ultra Finesse and something like a 6' would make an excellent addition to the lineup for creeks, as well as trout fishing.

Amir_zwara
Angler
Angler

Post by Amir_zwara » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm

slimjim1135 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Amir, speaking of the trout and panfish tapers, any chance you can bend Dobyns ear to get one or two of these trout blanks put into a casting setup? I like the trout and panfish action a lot. It's faster than the average whippy trout noodle, but slower than the Ultra Finesse and something like a 6' would make an excellent addition to the lineup for creeks, as well as trout fishing.
I think we're more likely to see some additions to the Sierra Ultra Finesse line, new lengths and actions.